Founder Guard

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by horsemad22, Sep 21, 2013.

1. horsemad22

horsemad22 New Member

Hey guys :) My two horses are on very rich grass at the moment and my mare has put on a big noticeable amount of weight in the last week or so, not so much the gelding.. The vet suggested we keep an eye on her weight for founder . I have heard that founder guard is very good to protect them against founder :) Has anyone had much to do with the product? What were your thoughts and did it work well? My mare is 16h so you don't think she looks that fat but around her flanks and bum cheeks it is quite fat haha

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

I would pull the mare out the paddock to avoid any risk at all. FounderGuard is great but not cheap! And it does not guarantee that it 100% prevents laminitis from grazing pasture. **)

3. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

She needs a bit of lock up time. Do you have a yard, or can you make a yard?

4. MissDQ

MissDQ New Member

Don't mean to highjack but I have a question re Founder Guard as well.

We've had a lot of clover come up and the old man has a history of laminitis. Nothing serious, never shows any signs until a few months later when you can see the changes in his feet when they are trimmed. Unfortunately there isn't anywhere else to put him that isn't clover or rich grass so was thinking of putting him founder guard as a preventative ? Wouldn't hurt would it ? Cost doesn't worry me.

He's only lawnmowing at the minute so is on small sections at a time and hasn't picked up from winter yet and is a bit ribby. I just worry with the reduced amount of excercise he's going to balloon and at 22 I don't want to take that risk. He's already on a small amount of shandy with his other bits and pieces to keep him ticking over.

5. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

MissQH, Founder Guard is designed for those exact grazing situations. So yes use it for your old horse. :)*

6. Tanya5374

Tanya5374 New Member

If you can't lock her away from the grass then maybe a grazing muzzle will help.

7. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

Get a muzzle. FG is a short term solution

8. Rod Crawford

Rod Crawford New Member

This is my first post and I am not very computer literate so here we go. I do not know a lot about horses. I have a Standard bred we bought as a yearling in 1986 ,retired him in 94 and about 2006 I noticed his rear offside hoof was growing forward and after asking around I ended up putting him on High Gain Ice,Founder Guard ,Chick Pea Hull and Wheat Hay when available. No Lucerne.We still let him graze(our 10 acres is poor country,average at its best). I am confident that we have slowed the Laminitis but of course it will not reverse.I would appreciate any comments that would assist.Will Forage Sorghum do any harm.I get a farrier to trim our horses feet .He is a gelding and runs with two old mares,all in top condition.He feels the foot at times but it does not stop him having a run around the paddock.

9. Meischa

Meischa New Member

Hello Rod

Welcome :)

Hind feet are less likely to be laminitic but can be of course. Are you near a vet who can check that hoof (and his body) out for you?

Make sure that a good farrier has a look at his foot and ensures his toe is not too long.

If it is laminitis, soaking their hay is also beneficial in reducing sugars.

At his age, personally, I'd say it's more likely to be arthritis and he's walking differently (hence that hoof growing irregularly) as he is now rising 29 years old. Maybe hip or hock affected by arthritis ??

Can you try him on some herbal pain relief, like Devil's Claw or Brookby Herbs Free Mover Plus (has assorted herbs) and see if that helps him at all? The vet may even suggest medication like Bute (oral) or Pentosan (needle)

Good luck :)

10. Annie27

Annie27 New Member

'Founderguard' is an antibiotic, Virginiamycin. If you are comfortable feeding that long term - then fine.
    I use EquiShure (Kentucky Research)which is encapsulated Sodium Bicarbonate (alkaline). More on it here: EquiShure? a KERx Solution and here: Horsemen feed baking soda for varying reasons | Daily Racing Form.
    In laymans terms, Founder/Laminitis is frequently(but not always) caused by an 'acidic' hindgut, which totally unbalances the 'gut bacteria' and results in toxins flooding the horses system -> founder.
    GRASS: Generally: LONG grass (not recently fertilized) is OK for horses. NEVER think that 'short grass' is OK!! "Stressed" SHORT grass can be the DANGER: as it may be high in 'sugars' particularly after recent mowing. Also, dry short grass after recent rain will have a higher 'sugar' content as it has a rapid growth spurt. Horses target this 'sweet' grass! Never put horses on recently fertilized grass (I wait at least 3 weeks, being sure it's had good soaking rain, too).
    The peak times for sugar content in grass (if memory serves me right)are about 10am and thru early night/morn until ~4am(Yawn). I grass graze my horses in morning from ~ 6am to 1030am, then into large yard and feed soaked grass hay 4 hours later, and just before I go to bed. Hay is soaked in wheelbarrow in chaff bag for min 1/2 hour. The 'honey' smelling water is poured out over my garden.
    I feed Kohnke Vitamin/Minerals at maintenance dose. Free access to block of Rock salt.
    It IS OK to feed Lucerne hay to foundered horses, (but I personally feed it at about 25% vs 75% grass hay).
    I have learned all this from science research based info on the 'net, and Dr Chris POLLITT (Vet) of QLD University, Australia, who is a leading EXPERT in Laminitis Research.
    I check DAILY before & during Founder season: if the horses pulse (near the hoof) is 'pounding' then beware!! and attend immediately. (Check it regularly to see what is 'normal' for that horse).
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  11. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

FounderGuard short term, EquiShure long term.