Founder Guard or other specific products

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Talz, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Talz

Talz Active Member

Hi all

I am starting to stress as my gg's will be getting loaded onto a truck to head to Victoria, about this time next Saturday! Anyway, as they will be standing still for so long in the truck I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to anything I could feed them leading up to this trip and after to prevent them foundering/stress colic and any other things my paranoid self hasnt thought up!!

Due to the EI situation they will be quarantined in Adelaide for 12 hours, that will be their only stop that I know of. They have been slowly getting weaned off their protein and by Monday will be only on chaff and hay as they will only get chaff on their trip. A friend of mine suggested feeding Founderguard this week to prevent them foundering, just wondering what your thought are on this?

Also, any tips from people having recently transported horses long distances for before and after trip?

Thanks.

2. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I brought mine from Perth to Newman and Perth to Kalgoorlie, so not as long as yours, but I gave them Recharge before the trip, left electrolytes to be given to them in their feed during the trip, and Recharge when they arrived. Also a good vit e/se supp to helpsore muscles from standing around. They wore nothing but bell boots at the company's request.

The main thing I would be concerned about is travel sickness, so just keep an eye out when they get there that they are not coughing or have a temp or anything, which will no doubt be checked anyway due to the EI. Personally I wouldn't feed Founderguard, not when they are going to be getting roughage only, probably very unlikely unless they are prone to it or have had it before, in which case I would.

Good luck with your trip!! :)* The main thing is that they drink enough on the trip, ask the drivers to keep a lookout if they are drinking enough, perhaps molasses in the water will help due to different tasting water at each stop.

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Founderguard was not designed for the purpose of travel side effects. Best off just making sure horses are properly hydrated before travelling. Allow horses access to water and hay during the trip and take regular stops to allow the horses to walk out and put their heads down for max. drainage of airways etc.

After the travel, feed low and lots of hay and free access to water. A dose of oral electrolytes may be worth while to encourage drinking and replace lost salts etc.

Perhaps take temperatures daily for a few days after you get to your destination to pick up any travel sickness early, and look out for any snotty noses or coughs!

4. Talz

Talz Active Member

Thanks guys, will get some Recharge and some more electrolytes. They are getting vet checked the day before leaving due to EI, and for my piece of mind I am also getting a vet out the afternoon they arrive. I am just paranoid and am worried as the only time they will get off the truck is when they have a stop over in adelaide, this is instructions from my transport company.

Thanks again, and will update everyone come next week after the deed is done!!

5. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I know where you are coming from Talz, you aren't paranoid mate, just a responsible and caring horse owner :) Lol I am already worrying about mine going from Kal to Perth in 6 months time! And that is not even close to the distance of your trip!! It is worrying when they are not in your care, isn't it?

Best of luck with it all, let us know how they go **)

6. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

Talia, I wouldn't worry about founderguard. Horses travel quite well, most of the time. I've done the trip with the horses, they get fed and watered every four hours or so when they stop to change drivers etc, and standing on the truck isn't as bad as you'd think. The time off the truck in Adelaide will give them a good chance to wander around and lay down... stop stressing :p

Ciao. Kiley.