Ford Territory warning

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by bronni, Jul 23, 2011.

1. bronni

bronni New Member

OK, so the day before yesterday both steering arms in my territory snapped, thankfully it was while I was driving in a car park at about 5k not on the road at speed which would have ended up with the kids & me up upside down & in major trouble.
    When I picked up the car today the mechanic told me that this is a recognised fault with the design of the ball joint/steering arm part.
    (the replacement part comes with a disclaimer advising you that the manufacture will only provide a limited warranty due to the design)
    Apparently if you take your territory to ford at around 150-170 thou k's, they will replace the parts for free or low cost because it is a design flaw, well worth knowing as it is $640 for non genuine parts $1200 for genuine + labour.
    I dread to think what would have happened to us if this had happened at speed or with the float on.
    so please be aware territory drivers that it is not a case of IF your ball joint fails but WHEN, the way it is designed means that IT HAS NO OTHER OPTION BUT TO WEAR OUT AND FAIL, so please if your getting to around 160thou get your car up on a hoist & inspected ASAP

2. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

Not good... I shall be sharing this on the networking site as I have a few friends with Territories, was even thinking about getting one myself...

3. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

what model and year? i think there was a recall on this..

4. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

they had a total recall on this - from memory it was the 2004 model

5. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

thought so :) so glad yours broke in the carpark Bronni!

6. Papsrus

Papsrus New Member

Don't mean to hijack, but whenever I read the title of this thread I think it says Fox Terrier warning :p

7. bronni

bronni New Member

lol had a fox terrier once ....they should come with warning labels:)*

8. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

I'll get my mechanic to take a look next service (coming up really soon) - thanks for the advice and glad you are OK!

9. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

Ford Territory ball joint review | carsguide.com.au

Owners of troublesome Ford Territorys are finally getting help from Broadmeadows.
    Ball joints are under the spotlight with a promise that suspect parts will be replaced, free of charge, if there is significant wear. Ford Australia stresses that the new move is not a recall, or a pointer to a recall, but comes as it continues an engineering investigation into customer complaints about front-suspension failures.
    Every Territory built from early 2004 until the introduction of a revised model at the start of 2009, which has a different ball joint design, is covered. "If anyone has concerns they should take the car into a dealership for inspection and, if necessary, the ball joints will be replaced free-of-charge," says Ford spokesperson, Sinead McAlary."This is so we can manage the wear. Obviously, if a new part is fitted there will not be any wear for some time."
    The difference with the new deal is there is no cost. "Previously, if the car was under warranty it was covered, and if it was out of warranty it was taken case-by-case with a contribution of 50 to 100 per cent." Ford has been investigating ball joint troubles on the Territory for more than a year and following a major campaign by the Carsguide on behalf of worried owners.
    The company says there is no recall but it is continuing its work on the problem. It has been monitoring the Territory parts for some time on cars coming to dealerships for routine service work."This is not a recall. What we’re doing is making a lot of progress on our studies," says McAlary."We are getting to the root cause and looking for the long-term solution."

ut Ford now admits there is a significant problem. "Ford is aware that some customers have experienced wear-and-tear issues with the ball joints on their Territory. The majority of instances of excessive wear on the ball joint have been discovered and rectified by Ford dealers during routine servicing," McAlary says. "However, as a result of significant wear on the ball joint, a small number of customers have experienced ball joint separation while undertaking low-speed, high-steering-effort manoeuvres. This will only take place if the ball joint in question has worn to a significant degree."
    McAlary says a long-term solution is close and Ford is committed to doing the right thing by Territory owners. "We take the safety and ongoing peace-of-mind of our customers very seriously and are undertaking a detailed engineering investigation to determine any potential root cause to the issue that has been reported.
    "We have an engineering team working on the issue as quickly as possible and are investigating the issue thoroughly."

10. HarleyQH

HarleyQH Well-known Member

I am a 2004 Territory Owner. I heard about this early last year with a TV report on it. The problem occurs on worn steering joints that are put under pressure on tight turns. My mechanic said mine are fine and our safety is not an issue as you are not travelling fast when it happens.
    Territorys have not lived up to my expectations at 100,000 kms our shockies had to be replaced and had to use fords as the others do not fit. 120,000 kms now and shockies are going again. It is too plastic for my likings, handle covers, plastic consel, hit a small roo and the whole front crumbled. hmmm JMO

11. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

I havent had to replace shockies yet? Might need to soon though... I am really happy with my territory, its been a really good car :)

12. bronni

bronni New Member

the sad thing is that I have been telling hubby ( a mechanic no less although trucks &gearboxes are his specialty) that the car is moaning & groaning like an old woman for 6 months !!!

13. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

Thank you so much for this warning!! My 04 territory has been making a funny noise from the front end, I just rang up ford with my vin number and they confirmed that mine needed replacing so it's booked in (free of charge) on tuesday.

14. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

OG - SO glad this thread has paid off and you will now be safe!

15. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

Got my car back today aand voila! no more front end noise, it's running perfect now and didn't cost me a cent. They tried to tell me that I needed the other steering arms replaced and told me it would be $450 so I told them to shove it and collected my car... my local mechanic has quoted me $150 to do the same job IF it really needs doing.

16. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

ooo this one includes me, I have a 2006 Territory!

Will have to keep an eye on it. But I had my mechanic go over every inch of the car when I first got it (a few months ago) and didn't seem to be any problems, but I will mention it to him when I get it serviced next.

The only other hazard I find is that stupid drawer under the seat - the way it is designed means that everything I drop in my lap - change, food, whatever - rolls over and falls down the crack between the seat and the centre console never to be retrieved again.

I shudder to think what lurks down there! But I reckon there would be at least $30 in spare change from me alone!

17. WheatbeltNic

WheatbeltNic Active Member

Just took my 04 Territory into Ford, seems the clunking noise in my front end is my passenger lower ball joint about to disintegrate. As soon as parts arrive in stock it's booked in to be fixed.

According to the Ford mechanic, this is the 3rd (yes, third) recall from Ford regarding the Territory ball joints. This latest recall is dated last week.

18. keridwyn

keridwyn Well-known Member

I don't mean to spook anyone, and i havn't read the whole thread, but ford territories have had problems with the brake lines being too short. So you turn the wheel just that bit too far, and POP, no brakes....#(
    Not too sure if they recalled them all and fixed it...

19. mihu

mihu Active Member

Yes, was a recall mine were fixed for the brakes, interesting about ball joints will have to suss it out.

20. WheatbeltNic

WheatbeltNic Active Member

Wow, the Ford service centre didn't say anything to me regarding the brake lines. But I have new ball joints now. Apparently mine were considered "catastrophic fail" and were borderline dropping my front end on the pavement.