for those that wear body protectors...

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by baileys best friend, Jan 28, 2008.

1. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

they seem like a good idea. however, i have read that they are similar to helmets - if you have a bad fall in one it really should be replaced as the foam pockets in the padding collapse (or something like that) and then it really just becomes a glorified & expensive vest!

seeing someone having thiers for 6 yrs with multiple falls & not replacing... makes me cringe a bit. i would not keep a helmet for that long, even if i hadn't fallen on my head in that time. they age.

2. alex

alex Well-known Member

i wear one at work, because i ride trackwork in the bush/private track/ascot.
    the brand i have is a tipperary, they're one of the most flexible ones, not at all uncomfortable or stiff (although maybe i'm just used to it now).

from memory it cost me around $270.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  3. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

Cabmaster which saddlery shop did you get yours from? im naughty i do xc and train my horses to jump ect with out one, so must get one :)*

4. alex

alex Well-known Member

I bought mine from Horseland Moon Light.
    I don't use mine when I jump or ride my/other peoples show/pleasure horses, only the racehorses.

5. Shannon

Shannon Well-known Member

yeah i use one but only when trying out a new horse or jumping and training but mine is a bit old and uncomfortable to start with but soon got used to it

6. doofus

doofus Well-known Member

I too have always just worn mine for cross country but i have a new young horse and have decided to start wearing it when i ride my young boy as its just not worth the risk of riding without it and then regretting it if i fall off.... I also have a Tippererary one and they are super comfy... tend to forget that i even have it on!!! (which i guess is exactly what you want) :)

7. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Do people find the Tippararies hot in summer? I want one. I'm a nervous rider and as I ride alone on the farm, my horse tends to be more nervy and likely to shy. I think they would make me feel safer, especially for my bad back!

8. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

I have a tipperary and its fantastic! It breathes really well and is incredibly comfy, i can be very nervous as well, but i swear it has saved me a couple of times! One time i fell out of a jogging cats which then ran over me and i only ended up bruised!
    But i think theyre fine in summer! and comfier than most! :D

9. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Thanks Bubblez, good to know! Did you get my PM?

10. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

I have one and I fidn they are more comfortable than other brands but I don't tend to ride with it on hot days if I am riding in the arena or at places we go a lot. I find I just get too sweaty. Great in winter tho, adds an extra layer of warmth!

11. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

I never use to wear a BP, until I found out that I couldnt compete if I didnt own one. So I bought one of my friends BP because she wasnt doing riding anymore. I think that they are worth every penny for what you pay for them.

When I have got my BP on, and I start workling I can hardly feel that I have got it on. It moves with your body movement and I find that if my horse does spook and I can stay on like I did without the BP so I don't see there to be much difference.

I have fallen off a few times with my BP on, and I hardly felt a thing and I feel like if I was in a serious fall that it could help prevent serious injuries.

When I am riding, I do Eventing. I don't normally wear my BP in dressage but I do in Showjumping (sometimes) and cross-country (always).

12. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

My old one saved me from being in a wheelchair. I came off at a table top xc and my horse followed me into it. knocked the wind out of me, but I walked away, but the guts of the body protector was shattered. They are compulsory xc at EFA events.

I only wear it xc either training or competing.

13. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

My daughters also use them for trackwork (otherwise the guy who lurks in the sandhills dobs them in) but say they restrict their movement somewhat, not so good when riding young ones.
    I dislike teaching riders who wear them because you can't see whats really going on under all that packing and their arms stick out like penguin flippers.
    Not a very elegant picture.

14. BadWolf

BadWolf Active Member

i have an airflow
    and i only ever wear it in xc
    but its always there is i ever felt uncomfortable on a horse
    but then again
    i wouldnt ride if i felt the risk of anything happening

i find it very 'crushing' if you get my drift lol

but they are deffinatly worth the $$$

15. BadWolf

BadWolf Active Member

ive seen them used
    so i guess so ;p

16. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

i wear mine once a year when i race, and i hate it!!!! sooooo uncomfortable, and i can bend or move right:mad:

17. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I have a tipperary and fell off while wearing it the other day. Didn't even feel it, just got up and chased the horse. They are worth there weight in gold especially if you ride on your own like I do. The tipperary was recommended to me as being the most comfy and least restrictive, I don't even notice I am wearing it. i tried a few on and believe me some of them are not well designed for women.

18. alexander

alexander Well-known Member

The WoofWear brand is my choice, light and comfortable. They come in kids sizes too, I think they should have them on all of the time, especially the little ones! **)

19. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

I also have a Tipperary and I use it everyday. At first it was stiff and felt strange but now it feels like I'm naked if I aren't wearing it!!! I'd rather wear one than have internal injuries! I think the fact that they are compulsary in many disciplines is a good thing:)*

Mylittlepony the reason it feels uncomfortable and you cant move or bend is due to the fact you only wear it once a year. Wear it more often and you'll feel more comfortable in it I'm sure.

20. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

i tried wearing it all day before my race but couldnt get used to it. maybe ill start wearing it when i go out bush riding**)