Foot injury - progress photos

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by HorseSlave, Nov 29, 2007.

1. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

It's been a fortnight now since my filly cut open her NS fore, probably on her shelter (since been made impossible, mind you, I thought it was impossible before she did it!).

Initial injury:
    [​IMG]

4 days later:
    [​IMG]

8 days later (I was a bit disappointed with how it looked this day):
    [​IMG]

2 weeks later (today)- much happier with it today, it's filling in well:
    [​IMG]

Of course, it's never just one thing with her: Her is her chest where I gave her the last injection:
    [​IMG]

I'm taking off the boot and bandages and washing the cut every 2 days, then wiping with betadine, filling with honey and a quick spray of purple paint, covering with jelonet and dry animal lintex before bandaging and booting again (she goes through the bandage in a matter of minutes without the boot).

So glad I bought a heap of bandages over the internet, they were heaps cheaper than any I've seen in horse shops.

I'm also getting rather skilled at putting bandages on a moving leg! :p

2. samm

samm Gold Member

Looking good :)

The chest will go down soon.Just be careful with haematomas that they dont get infected.

3. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Looking good :) Glad to hear that she's getting better .. :)

Can I ask why the chest dropped like that?

4. HorseSlave

This is from a Hoofbeats article: "It is not uncommon for what is known in scientific terms as dependent oedema to form following an injection into a horse’s chest muscles. A mild, cool swelling that follows gravity, dependent oedema usually resolves by itself over time."

I'm assuming it's this Cheeki :)

5. HorseSlave

I'm quite happy with how this is looking now, I've stopped bandaging as of today. Know it's not much compared to the drastic injuries seen elsewhere, but it was enough to freak me out! :)
    [​IMG]

6. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

Looks great this is what my boy did a few monthst back and yes it was hell it keep dry !
    [​IMG]\
    PLus it was worse thats when it started looking half decent lol :)*

7. HorseSlave

Seems to be a classic spot doesn't it? :)

My girl is looking much better now, not bandaging any more and am considering leaving the rest of the healing to nature.