Foal watch advice please

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Yentle, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

Hello all. This is my 1st foal in years so am not really confident about the whole process.

So I have a maiden Friesian mare due on the 28th of Oct. She is booked into the vet to foal there as I do shift work and can't be up all hours when I start dayshift at 3.30am or I'm on night shift so will probably miss the birth anyway. So I am wanting to try and get her to the vet a few days before it happens.

I have had a long chat to the vet and they have been fantastic and said if I'm unsure about anything let them know and they will come over and check to see if she looks ready to go. But I don't want to hassle them every 5 minutes either.

So the mare still has a few weeks. The foal is still very much sitting down in her belly, it doesn't look like it has started to move up over her hips. She isn't really any softer than usual through her quarters and her vulva looks about normal. This morning though I checked her teats and they aren't full but there looked to be droplets of clear water on them and when I touched them they were hard and came off into my hand. Is this wax? Isn't it far too early for wax?

Trust me if I think I need to,I will get the vet out but thought I would ask some experienced breeders on here for some advice 1st.

Thanks.

2. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

Hi Yentle how exciting for you, thats sounds like wax if you are wanting her to foal down at the vets might be time to take her there. Good Luck

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  3. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

lol I was really hoping you weren't going to say that!!! I think I might get the vet to swing around and have a check

4. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

Had the vet come out. Yep she is about to pop so off to the clinic we go. Fingers crossed it all runs smoothly from here

5. Clear drops are not wax. Wax is milky yellow white and not clear. She is not ready yet:)

6. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

Thanks Coliban. She also seemed a little restless today and was looking around instead of eating her hay which isn't normally like her. The vet seemed pretty certain she is very close. I also start my shift work again tomorrow so I feel a lot better that she is now down at the clinic with a foaling alarm stitched in and in the best hands if she does foal soon. I would hate for her to foal one of the nights I'm working and needing vet care. More money but more piece of mind as well. **)

7. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

ANNNDDDDD we have a filly on the ground. Born at 9pm last night. Both girls are doing really well. That's all I know so far as I haven't seen her yet. Thanks for your advice everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Warren

Warren New Member

Congratulations!!!

And good on you for listening to your mare, your gut feeling and your vet **)

I think we need pics.....

9. nklpark

Woohoo Congratulations :)) I think we need photos too :D

10. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

Thanks guys!!! I only have crappy mobile pics at the moment from in the stable but I'm bringing her home today so will take some of her out in the sun and post them. I keep thinking back how much of a good decision it was to take her even though I was worried I was being a bit over reactive. The mare wouldn't let her feed so they had to crush and twitch the mare and milk her and tube feed the filly twice before the mare stopped kicking out at her and let her nurse. If she hadn't been under vet care I would have woken up to a very sick filly. The colostrum was also not that a good of quality due to her being 24 days early but the blood work came back that she did in fact end up getting enough and is well enough to come home. YAY!!!! Pics soon to follow.

11. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

12. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

13. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

14. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

15. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

Introducing Yubella. 24 days early but very strong and happy and healthy. Mum is a full freinsian by Hilwert and Yubella's sire is Bellario owned by Narbethong.

16. Warren

Warren New Member

She's lovely, doesn't look like an early foal at all!! And nice breeding too **)

17. Yentle

Yentle Active Member

Thanks Warren. I'm pretty excited about her

18. nklpark

Your foal & mare are both lovely

19. Very nice! Both mum and filly are awesome!:)* well done:) and huge congrats!:))

20. Katsin

Katsin Active Member

Very lovely!! Congratulations