Fly Veils arrr

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Teddie1980, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Shmoo

Shmoo Well-known Member

We have our custom made for our Perchies by our local Rug lady in the area she came out and made to measure the first lot and now just makes me new ones off the origonal templates as I order them. The only reason mine ever come off are if the Velcro starts to wear and I get newies if the mesh gets holes in it from wear and tear.
    Interestingly I have found the the horses FAR prefer the Black mesh ones. Perhaps they see better out of them. Our horses just run into them in the morning if I hold them out, it's so cute! I'm sure if they had hands they'd do the Velcro up themselves too.
    I agree with Blackbat that Fly veils by design are amongst the best fit!**)

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I have "buzz offs" that I bought 3 years ago, still going strong on my ponies, no rubbing. They occasionally get one off in the paddock, but have not managed to damage them at all:)

And I only use black ones ( how would you like to look through checks or bright colours all day).

3. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

What flys, we don't have flys yet.:)*

4. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Mine are all black too-except the foal I just couldn't resist the hot pink one!!
    Sending some flies to Horsetalk!!

5. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Is it ok to put a fly mask on a foal? I am have a tough time with flies at the moment and they are harrassing the baby. I am going to try and do some major fly control tomorrow but did consider a fly mask for bubs but did not think it would be good practice to put a fly mask on a young foal.

6. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I'v had the same flyveil for a year and a half, never broken either, nor lost. Must be lucky haha.

7. Sweet Euphoria

Sweet Euphoria Well-known Member

I used to use the bug-eye ones on my tb gelding, and i didnt find that he got too hot under it. The lycra is the same material bike shorts are made from, so they are breathable. I found them to be very good, but the mesh is a lot flimbsier(sp?) than the normal fly veils.

Has anyone ever had a problem with the furry fly veils?? I know of a couple of horses who have had rash-like hives where the fur sits along the brow and nose piece. :(

8. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Sorry not to sound dense but why not? This is my first foal so am flying blind lol!!

9. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

I am flying blind too when it comes to foals in Aus. I was scared to put one on in case it gets caught on something, but I am going to buy one tomorrow if I can get one small enough local:) just can't bare to see the poor thing suffer with those flies.

10. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Flyveils by design are AWSOME! my horses each have 2 flyveils, with fur lining and Lucy has extended nose. They dont move and no rubbing, great :)) oh and the price is good too

11. pso

pso Gold Member

I've always put fly veils on foals...from 1 day on...
    If you are worried about them getting caught,either cut some of the stiches out(so it will break easier) or replace the headpiece with elastic(so can pull off if needed):))

12. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Thanks for that pso:D I am off to buy a fly mask tomorrow, great idea about the elastic:)

13. realalvin

realalvin New Member

We are having a terrible stable fly season!!!! I buy fly masks for my boy every year. They fit him well, he doesn't get overly hot in it.