Fly Veils arrr

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Teddie1980, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

:mad:

Does anyone else have problems with them?? i mean i have bought two - the first one was too small, second one fits but rubs on her eyes and i don't think that is right!, now i am off to buy the other sort with lycra. by golly was of $50 all up till now.

2. Moondust

Moondust Well-known Member

hehe i have more of a problem with Rusty de-veiling himself in the paddock from his play fights!!! I endup buying more and more and more, until i eventually have to go on a mission to find them from the paddock! lol

3. odway

odway Guest

I've had such a run of bad luck with fly veils... I've normally end up with 2 per season because fitting is an issue, or rubbing is an issue or when I finally find one that works it gets lost or left behind at an agistment centre somewhere! Hoping to break the bad luck chain this year :p

4. Talz

Talz Active Member

I have found a really good fly veil (will pm you) and my mare doesnt get runned at all, my gelding does though so I stitched some satin across the middle nose piece and on the sides where his cheek bones are and this has helped.

5. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

Yep we are onto no 4 - top or bottom is either too small or too big so doesn't fit properly. He also get's them off in the paddock so I have to go hunting for them. Have had problems with getting halters and bridles to fit too (although have found one now in each which does the job) so now the flyveil is the next frustrating experience.#(

6. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

So far I have lost six:( and that is from three horses, Frits, Mushu and Shorty. Not sure what the are doing with them! Frits has also destroyed his cotton rug - brand new one only wore it for a week:mad:

Why can't the boys be like the girls and look after thier masks:rolleyes:

7. Moondust

Moondust Well-known Member

A fantastic recommendation for those whos flyveils dont fit or come off in the paddock... i have recently been trying a new idea!!!

The 'bug eyes' veil! Its like a skinny hood (just the head part) with big bug eyes flies. much harder to de-veil, aswell as they conform to the horses fit, no rubbing as silk material... you know the drift.

You can get a Roma one from horseland for $20

8. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

Chickie is wearing a fly veil now. She has a purple one with sheepswool kinda stuff around the nose and top. And she also has my old horse Maloo's blue flyveil with a nose flap, they both fit perfectly. Cob size. She wasnt bothered by me putting them on her, or taking them off. Shes so nice an quiet. She was a bit funny when I put the noseflap one on today, trying to eat the nose flap hehe

9. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I might try the bug eye as my biggest problem is the stitching on the velcro undoing itself. The horses are good at keeping them on if only the fly veil itself didn't fall aprt after a few days.

10. megan

megan Well-known Member

she got a roma that was the first one. its here as poor uno now gets a lovely pink fly vaile now lol

11. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i worry about the bug eye ones being too hot, moondust.. what do you reckon?

i want those full on ones with the ear covers.

12. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

:rolleyes: Sigh...oh yes oh yes, I have fly veil issues too!!

Gelding de-veils himself all the time, and gets gunky eyes. So now I have to tie the headstall of his flyveil to his headcollar, that has done the job (he is stabled btw, not turned out, or I wouldn't do that).

Tb wrecks every single one. I have had 5 now. Or she coerces gelding to pull it off her so she can chew it up *#) Solution for now is to punch holes in the mesh and tie it on with baling twine instead of the velcro, this way it seems to be staying put (for now). I think I will try a new variety, these have been Roma ones. She needs a no-velcro kind.

I can understand why they want rid of them, they must be annoying, but goddamn it flies are worse! :D

13. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I bought all new ones this year-I think they're called Buzz Offs and so far they've been terrific,no rubbing and they fit well and stay on!!

14. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

He's broken his Roma one 3 times and each time it has been broken it is just from him rubbing on a pole. I bought a cheaper one to replace it in the mean time and it stood up a lot better but was too small for him, so off to get another one

15. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Has anyone bought one of the flyveils by design? I've heard really good things about them and they're W.A owned so it would be supporting a local shop. They look really good on their website and are the same price as the Roma ones etc.

16. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

my purple on is flyveils by design, fantastic fit and the velcro is super strong (

17. Jumping Bean

Ooh I might try one too! :)* Ta for that!

18. pso

pso Gold Member

I used flyveils by design last year...sizes a bit small, but stays on, and The girl I sold it to (too small for mine now) says its the only one that ever stays on!
    Usually, for the difficult hosses (I always use mesh ones)... I buy a size too big, then sew extra velcro on (so theres more sticky bit...), and put pleats on the browband bit, as otherwise it would be too big...My baby lives out in a 60 acre paddock, and it hasnt come off yet!
    For the really difficult ones, sew double velcro on...(like paddock boots...)
    For the ones that have them pulled off by their buddies, try putting them on inside out...then theres nothing to grab onto...:D

19. Jumping Bean

Inside out - brilliant idea pso! :)* Hehe like to see fatty try to remove that one....;)

20. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Flyviels by design are an excellent fit, no eye rubbing, and can custom make them for you. One horse has worn the same one for 5 years, the other for 2 years - he gets them pulled off in face fights, and usually the velcro is still done up! Velcro does lose its grip power as bits of grass and sand attach to it.