fly veil grief

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by JP Red, Nov 29, 2012.

1. JP Red

JP Red New Member

The standy ripped his fly veil off the other day (only ripped a bit of the side lining off). I'm still using it but he gets the damn thing off everyday and I find it in the exact same spot. The flies are hammering both of them so I wanted to get veils with ears and extended nose for more coverage but im a bit nervous that with one that is attached a little stronger than the standard ones he might hurt himself if he tries to get it off. Or should I just leave him without one (dont really want to, the flies are BAD)
    any thoughts?

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I don't use the normal flymasks... i much prefer the Bugeyes.
    You can get them with the noseflap & i've noticed even here in the wheatbelt, on hot days they don't sweat under them.

[​IMG]

3. NumidianHorse

NumidianHorse Active Member

If horsey was safe / sensible, the Cashel ones are lovely.

But Mr Gelding is also loving the bug-eyes one ... agree - no stress, would 'give' easily enough if necessary, no sweating or sneaky flies ... and happy eyes **)

4. JP Red

JP Red New Member

Thanks :) thats a great help and Remaani that photo is too cute! love the funky colours haha

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

How tight are they Remaani? I've looked into them but looked away because I don't think anything face hugging would be nice in the heat we get.

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

They are snug but so far in the heat we've had, no dramas & that's on the colt whom runs around most of the day (yes in the sun), playing.
    The material is very lightweight.

I won't use any other flymasks/veils now. :)

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks. We've already had plenty of near 40deg days and concerned about how those could allow breathing of the skin and not overheated the mane it touches causing it to fall out.

But at the monent I'm happy with mine but was going to look into them as a back up (however I only use flyveils in extreme cases).

8. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

What brand are they and where do you guys get them? :)

Normally I'd get the Flyveils By Design ones, but since they have been sold into QLD they are just about impossible to get! (Had a couple on order for over 3 weeks and cancelled the order... then ordered anther one through another company and it has been nearly 2 weeks! :blink:

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Gathering i can post the link? ';'
    Home - www.buggez.com

If not - google Buggez Bugeyes. :)

10. Shera

Shera Active Member

Oakford stock feeds have them and they are the same price as from the supplier. Mine still rubs the eyes out :(

11. Born to Ride

Born to Ride Well-known Member

Loving the BugEyes...we've just gotten some for our 4.
    They are great. And even on the hot days they haven't gotten sweaty under them.
    My mares fly veil uses to rub the hair off in many places. But get this and the hair is growing back great :) will never go back to a normal flyveil now.

Arnie: they are like a skinny hood. Very thin Lycra material. :)

12. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

I've found the Wild Horse ones good. The mesh is strong and stiff but finer than usual so good visibility and always black. Extended noses good fit, in canvas or mesh. Lovely polar fleece type edging, soft but doesn't get filled with grass seeds. And Velcro is triple lock, that's a double sided layer of eyes sandwiched between two layers of hooks, can't be rubbed open. Impregnated with Permethrin to repel beasties so less rubbing masks off. And extended nose less than $30.

13. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

Two of the horses at work have Buggez flyveils - they are just lovely! One is on one of my boss's horses and the other is on a horse that is on trial to one of the people who agist there. They sure stand out, look lovely, work brilliantly, and are thus far holding up well. My boss's mare wrecks/loses flyveils often and I have not once come to her paddock to feed and remove her flyveil to find it wasn't on the horse.

I will be purchasing two when I have spare money [have vet bills to pay on top of christmas... rather inconvenient timing on horsey's part].

Another horse [also an agister's] has a Cashel mask and I like that one as well. I think the best of both worlds would be a mix between the two. The feature of the Cashel that I like best is the forelock hole, which is something I would love to see on a bugeye mask.

14. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't leave a skinny hood on during the day so I rather not :). But like I said my flyveils at the moment are fine and I only put them on if needed :).

15. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

I know what you mean about the flies being bad! Monica can't wear a flyveil because it's not on for more than ten minutes - Whiskey rips it off her!

16. kathyve

kathyve Active Member

Yep I have a problem child as well.. His eyes are always watering and red from the flies but insists on taking his flyveil off on a daily basis. It does not matter which type I use the end result is always the same.They are normally located in the same spots and my lovely neighbour collects and puts them on my front gate...

17. JP Red

JP Red New Member

its so frustrating! i find it in the same spot every day too and funnily enough its always right where the (extremely playful) arab X in the next paddock is standing. maybe he rips it off like whiskey? celestialdancer busso ag supply might be getting in some of the viels with fly repellent and I saw one yesterday, it goes alot thicker under their chin, looks more secure, i might give that a go :)

18. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

One of the ladies at work has a kensington fly mask with soft mesh ears and a removable nose flap for her boy. Its a bit ugly but its very strong and has lasted well over a year so far. He's gotten it off a few times while playing with the other horses but normally the nose bit just comes undone and the rest of the flyveil stays put **)

19. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

after my boy having the bug eye many years and after one day of wearing it it dug in to a point him getting white scaring across his forehear wont ever used them again, and use the cashel :)

20. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

How are the bugeyes in the wind? I've recently started using standard flyveils after years of not needing them at all (happily the ponies don't seem hell-bend on destroying them anymore) and noticed that in windy conditions they can blow against the horse's eye. Certainly this is the case when I'm riding with one on him, are the bugeyes okay to use over a bridle?