Fly Repellants

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by rbk, Nov 14, 2007.

1. rbk

rbk Active Member

If anyone has a recipe for home made / herbal / natural fly repellant, i would really appreciate it. My young horse appears to be allergic to Repelex and one or two others on the market. :confused:

2. mav

mav Well-known Member

i'm not sure if its the same for horses but my dog is allergic to all the 'commercial' brands as well so i buy mine from city farmers. cant for the life of me remember what its called but it is natural and it works!! other choice is citronella oil based products - used to use it on my old horse and he was fine with it - although i think it was more effective with the bitey insects then flies...

3. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

I use a product called Permoxin which i bought from City Farmers, you dilute it yourself, when the flies are bad I use a double dose. I use it on myself and my dog aswell.

4. mav

mav Well-known Member

taylorc would these work for dogs too? figure if im making it up may as well use for them too!! and myself....

5. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

I have used my own mix of fly repelant for many years now! Try this...
    1/3rd apple cider vinegar, 1/3rd citronella oil and 1/3rd water all in a spray bottle, bit of a shake and your away!