Fly Mesh Rugs and Summer?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Beauvelour, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Hi all, normally I keep my horses naked all summer but my mare is rather sensitive to bites and their paddock backs onto a creek. Considering the mozzies haven't even let up through winter im thinking its going to be a horrible summer. I have been thinking about those mesh fly rugs but wondering if they get too hot on a sunny day? Otherwise I will just stick with the fly veils and fly spray thanks

2. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

I'm interested to hear the answer too, I'm in the same boat. My mare is shocking with flies and I was going to get her a mesh rug. But my gelding was dropped off yesterday with all his rugs including a mesh fly rug, and his old owner said once its over about 33/34 he is too hot in it anyway. So ... methinks its probably not worth getting one for the mare, might just stick with boots, mask and spray. I sprayed their cottons with outdoor fogger before I put them on yesterday and that seemed to work a treat.

3. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

I have fly mesh combos on mine after I take their cottons off and my gelding is okay in his until over sort of 40, and my mare who feels the heat alot more about 35! But they only sweat where the silk lining is on their shoulders, you can get just pure mesh rugs with no lining on the shoulders which they would be alot better in, but on a hot hot day my mare will sweat in the paddock with no rugs on!

4. info on archie

info on archie Well-known Member

Really don't like the plastic-y mesh ones. Have tried them a few times, find they get way too hot and the rugs are too hot to touch. Would rather a half cotton half mesh or high % cotton any day **)

5. Ants

Ants Well-known Member

Ive had a pretty good run with my hybrid mesh/cotton from caribu:)

6. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

Info On Archie - Totally agree!!! I leased a horse that came with one of those horrible, heavy plastic mesh rugs and he would just sweat and sweat in it, and they got extremely hot to take off!

I have the weatherbeeta polyester mesh combos and find them great, the only places they have sweated is where they are silk lined on the shoulders!

But a race horse training across the road from us has had these very light mesh rugs on I think they are black and pink and are just a very airflowy rug with no lining.

7. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

This is what I was afraid of. My friend had a zilco one and hated it wayyy too hot but that was a few years ago and they seem to be popping up every where so wondered if they have changed a bit.

Might have to have a look at the Caribu ones Ants **)

8. 7notHeaven

7notHeaven Active Member

Great thread! What about the flag material ones? Are they a whole lot lighter than the normal cottons and if so are they strong enough for paddock wear (by non rug-trashers of course!)

9. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

Flag rugs work great and mine dont sweat in them

10. Bella85

Bella85 New Member

Just brought a Kool Coat Combo - the new one with a mix of cotton along backline and mesh near belly and neck area. Working a treat - not too hot and lovely soft material - so far so good! I was going to buy a flag but was advised not very strong - even with a horse alone in an electric fence paddock so opted for the half cotton/ half mesh and would purchase again and recommend.

11. 7notHeaven

7notHeaven Active Member

Thanks PetaBizz, flag rugs it is for me - you never know if you never go there **)

12. La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita Active Member

I had a flag which was lovely and cool, but unfortunately streeetched a little too much. Ordered a cotton/mesh combo from Sydney and it is pretty awesome. It's about 70% or more mesh, you can get neck or none, and it has lasted the distance so far. Reasonable pricing too. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention the store, but PM me if you'd like details.

13. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

I got mine from Capriole and currently have one on my two year old filly. It is reinforced around the neck line so hasnt stretched yet and is still in tact. Pretty happy with how it has still survived! :)

14. realalvin

realalvin New Member

u r absolutely right! mare is rather sensitive to bites.