Fly Boots

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Happy Gambler, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Happy Gambler

Happy Gambler Well-known Member

Just wanting peoples opinions on fly boots. Yesterday I decided it was too hot for my horse to wear his magnet boots during the day. As soon as they were off he just stomped his front legs all day! The ground shook from it and drove me mad thinking about his poor leg joints with each stomp.

What brands of fly boots have you used? And did they rub at all? Did they make any difference (flies still being annoying above the knee lol)?

2. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I was having huge problems with flies and midgies when I was in Nth QLD and I bought 2 sets for my boys from Sunset rugs. They were absolutely brilliant and I didn't have any problems with them at all. I never had then slip down and because she uses a 'fur' type thing at the top and bottom I didn't have any problems with them rubbing either.

3. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i have heard very good things about sunset's - and i think they have boning (love that word) in them to stop them falling down - or you could get heedy sock suspendors hehehe

Buckley is still in his sheepskin boots, am pleasantly suprised that they are cool.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  4. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

oh and Montygirl told me about these great fly traps that bunnings sells, i bought 2 and have caught a few million flies, amazing! pongs to high heaven though but better then flies! oh and they layed eggs in it so now its crawling with maggots too...,. mmmmmmmmm

5. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

i got recommended sunset boots for kk...... they are awesome!!!! nice and long and even cover all the bits on the long legged supermodel!!! **) **)

6. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

I got some from Nicole at dark selections and there the only ones that stay up i love them. Made in the USA .

7. Happy Gambler

Thanks everyone, now have 2 happy stomp-free horsies in Nicole's lovely fly boots :D

8. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

What are those fly boots made of Happy Gambler?

9. Happy Gambler

They have faux fur edging at top and along the join, not at the bottom as this goes past the fetlock. There are 3 elasticated velcro tabs and the main boot is mesh like fly veils.

They slipped a little yesterday but not much. Horses still not stomping! :D

10. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Hmmm... they sound okay. I think it's probably a bit late for this season, but might get some for next spring. They're about $60 a set though aren't they?

11. Happy Gambler

$80 :p ..... spoilt ponies lol

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007