Fluffy Belly - Impossible!

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by JessiTrist, Nov 9, 2007.

1. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

Chickies winter coat is almost completely gone, except for a 'mohawk' on her belly. It is very thin, long hair, just one line straight down the centre of her belly, very much an upsaide down mohawk! I am using a curry and shedding comb on her every day, but cant seem to get rid of this fluff, any ideas?

2. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Trim it with the scissors, my little man gets one of these, they look funny don't they!! *#) If you just get rid of the worst of it no-one will notice, I find it easier than clippers for just that one wee spot.

3. JessiTrist

Thanks JB! I was thinking of buying a litttle set of battery operated trimmers and giving it a go - thought it might get her used to the vibration and noise for later on in life when and if i decide to clip her? But scissors will definately do for now! It is really odd, quite funny really!

4. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Battery operated clippers would do the job for sure, like you say they will get her used to them **) Lol I am just a lazybones!! ;) It is a funny spot isn't it, mine also gets the same thing down his back legs!

5. JessiTrist

Her only other hairy spot is on her front legs, right where they join her belly, right on the joint, and it is only about 10 hairs on each leg but theyre about 20cm long!

6. pso

pso Gold Member

ooooH, My baby gets these too!
    I clip them off, baby is quite tolerant of those little rechargable trimmers!
    They do look funny tho, dont they!:D

7. mineees

mineees Gold Member

hehehe i think the hairy underbellies looks so cute..*#) *#) *#)

8. JessiTrist

Hairy under-mohawk is gone! YAY and chickie has no problem at all with my little trimmers, even though they are LOUD! Put them up near her ears too, as I will be cutting a bridlepath soon, and she didnt even blink. She stood very still while I did her belly (took a while!! lots of hair!), quite proud of her :D

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Well we have had one QH yearling filly with that belly fluff and she turned out to be very wormy!! Once she was wormed twice 3 weeks apart the hair just fell out!

Youngsters harbour many worms so perhaps look at worming her again with Equimax and then again 3 weeks later. Should do the job.

10. JessiTrist

Thanks Caroline - I wormed her exactly 3 weeks from today, so I might go give her another one today :)