Floating safety

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by basilkins, Nov 19, 2012.

1. basilkins

basilkins New Member

I think that everyone should have their mobile contact number written on back of float. That way if other people can see a problem they can let you know, hey I know there may be a few idiots out there that will call for fun, but I do think it is a good idea in long run.

:)))

2. basilkins

basilkins New Member

Also I think in big letters should be written on back float door, Do Not Ever Stand Behind this Door ever......

3. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

Mine needs a sign saying "If You See the Tail Raised BACK OFF, This Mare Craps Over The Top of The Tailgate"

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I don't want my mobile number out for their world to see. On the back of a float you'll start getting prank calls etc. it's an idea though!

5. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

As I usually float alone, I would not be able to answer the phone without pulling over every time it rings. I just ignore the phone while I drive and check it at the destination. I think if there was a problem, the car behind would flash its light and toot, so you would know to pull over. Far safer than letting every tom dick and harry have your mobile number.:)

6. NumidianHorse

NumidianHorse Active Member

Nice suggestion **) It would be a good idea to make some means of contact (CB radio channel??) ...

I was behind a float the other day all the way down Gt N Hwy - he had no brake lights ...

Was hoping he'd turn off - or I'd have a chance to tell them. Eventually had to keep flashing my lights like a maniac and stick my arm out the drivers window to motion to him to pull over @) (and not think I was just trying to pass him).

... got him to stop - turned out he'd blown a tyre on the trip down from Broome and while the tyre was replaced, he didn't realised he'd cut a wire under the wheel arch - and obviously hadn't checked.

Suggested he use his fog lights to indicate when he was braking (as they were still working) ... hopefully they completed the journey safely. I'd hate to have a road train behind my float with two lovely horses - and no brake lights ...

A CB channel or phone number would have been an additional way to get their attention ... definitely worth thinking about.

7. Premier

Premier Well-known Member

It wouldnt have helped in the case I came across where the door had come undone and was hovering 30cms above ground with float doing about 80kms, Pony and horse were happy standing there with only bum chains keeping them in, I was so worried to toot and pulled up along driver as quick as I could without scaring horses to flag them down. they were sooooooo lucky.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. Rivvy

Rivvy Active Member

I would get a lot of abusive ph calls from drivers so definately wouldnt put number on the back of a float , I drive in morning traffic every week doing the speed limit , taking the corners slowly and I cant believe how many people are SO impatient, overtaking into oncoming traffic , tooting, fingersigns #( Im surprised there arent more accidents on our roads.