Floating a pony

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Mel, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Mel

Mel New Member

I havent had to float a pony before, how do you stop them going under the chest bar?

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Tie them up with their head above it.

Alternatively block the front using hay or a board. But it their head is tied above the chest bar then it is pretty hard for them to get their head below it :)

3. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Cross tying also can help :)

4. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

or just let them go under and pop out the human door on the side of the float ... courtesy of a shetland I used to know :D

5. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I don't yet have adjustable chest bars. I tie my little ones up to twine on the chest bar (I only tie to twine inside floats in case of a fall) . They don't go under for some reason. They've still got plenty of room behind them to step back away from the chest bar to lower their heads (not too low).

6. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Never had that problem, I have adjustable chest bars in my float :)

7. theherd22

theherd22 New Member

I tie my pony fairly short with her neck over the bar and then give her a big hay net to keep it there (she can untie knots and will turn around in the float at the first chance)

8. norwest star

norwest star New Member

my float is modified to tie big and little courtesy of my grandfather :) but before that just tie it up short unless they turn around they should be fine

9. stormie

stormie Well-known Member

I tied some twine across at ponies chest height and tied him to it and rapped something soft around chest bar so the pony does not hit his head on a hard metal bar

10. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I have a mini who i tie to the chest bar and hang a haybag in front of her and that generally keeps her in the bay. I just saw a pretty good idea on facebook of someone using a horse rug (like it would sit on a horse) over the middle divider to keep 2 ponies separated that could walk under the divider im sure something like this could be used over the chest bar if its a real small pony.