Floating a jumper

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by needanswers, Jun 7, 2013.

1. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

I have to float a pony soon who has a habit of jumping over the chest bar and into the front of the float when he travels.

Any advice?

2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

The best thing to do is tie a rope from the chestbar over the withers and then back to the chestbar. (sort of)

For a better explanation, go to Mr Horseproblems website and there are some good pictures.
    The floats that he builds all have this in them. A fabulous safety feature.

3. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

If I'm in doubt, I put square bales in the front and cover with a rug so they can't eat them. Is your float's front window large? I know someone who's had success with curtains *#)

4. needanswers

It's an older style wooden float, extended with smallish windows in front of each bay rather than a big curved window like the olympic floats. He kind of jumped out of one of those (through the window) the other day.

I haven't floated him in this float yet so hoping less windows might help. The float has no centre stallion divider in front so if he jumps in he will have room to stand as it's extended with no cupboards or anything.

5. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Like mentioned, tie a rope (long lead rope) from the left side of the chest bar, over his wither to the right side of the chest bar. The rope needs to be snug, but you can put some padding under the rope if concerned with chaffing. Also, secure his head to either a low tying spot or the chest bar itself....short!

6. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

The wither rope is a good idea.

The other thing I'd do is use 2 lead ropes, one tying him up normally (over the chest bar) but the second should go under the chest bar, that way he won't be able to get his head/body up high enough to jump over.

7. needanswers

Hi Team just a quick update to let you know we floated this horse today and he went really well except for when we stopped for 5 to take a break 2hrs into the trip. He got a little panicked and started to pull back but I got some hay out and he soon calmed down.