Float wish list

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by mirawee, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

If money wasn't a problem who would you go to to buy a) a 3 horse angle load float and b) a 2 horse extended float?

If you were on a bit more of a budget what brand would you go again for a) 3 horse angle load and b) 2 horse extended?

I am not interested in which floats you would avoid just which ones you would choose :rockon:

2. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

If money were no object.... hmmm I would go for a 3 horse angle and have it extended to have a kitchen in the front.

I am very happy with my 2 horse extended Imperial. Lots of people don't like them, but I have had no problems with it. It is well designed has managed to keep my horses and I comfy at shows. It has space for everything we need.

3 horse angle, I would go a Stallion with the B option kitchen. :) Really nice float!!

In saying all that, I am also interested in those Equi Trek van type things. They look ok... and you don't have to worry about tow vehicles and everything. Does anyone have any experience with them??

3. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

Id have a truck, with living quaters, big bays for my boy, airconditioned and heated. With large yards. Chandeller hanging from the roof :p

Shower, including hot water to hose of my horse.

One power ball...

Oh and for going to and from lessons- extended straight load, with air con installed. Walk in tack room big enough to swing a cat. Yards and an electric up and down ramp. And it would be yellow :p Also wide as my horse likes to stand doing the splits, so come out the sides.

While we are at "money no object" these would be parked next to my F250, in the shed next to my air conditioned and heated indoor arena which is just a stones throw from my beautiful english style stables, which can be over looked from my mansion and my white fenced maicured grassed paddocks.

Ill just go buy brookleigh i think.

.... Off dreaming again...

And it would be all toms!

and on a budget- Well considering I borrow a float at the moment, I would like any float (as long as its safe) to call my own.

4. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Cupcake... If you get all that, can I bring Bo and GK over to keep Tom company?? :)

5. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

Sure- Tom loves friends.

6. Lucksta

Lucksta Well-known Member

I would go an angle 2 horse float (set on an extra wide and extended 3 horse float). Not a fan of normal 3 angle load floats, find them squishy. I'd have a prado or something to tow.
    I quite like the Olympics.. either that or a Logan maybe

Features on float:
    Good ventilation
    Float yards x 2
    Double access doors
    Tack box at back and front
    Safe inside front of float
    Lights inside float
    Non slip ramp
    No back leg divider
    Stallion divider.

7. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

I really like the olympics :) Lots of little safety features that make you go "I'm surprised all the other floats don't do this, its so obv ious" lol
    I've only seen 2 horse extendeds tho, haven't seen angle loads.

Actually I dint know anyone with an angle load. I think they'd be more dangerous as if the horse at the front gets into strife you have to unload the first two.. Id go for a side loading straight load truck if I had that much money :p

8. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I don't think you can get side loading trucks unless you get to the big rigs - and it is as hard to get to the horses in that as in an angle load :)

Although it would be interesting to know how much more "dangerous" it would be to get the other horses out as it would be to try and unload a horse standing next to a horse who had fallen. In theory there should be nothing to get them into trouble unless they fell.

I don't need living quarters so no need to put extra weight into the float that won't be used.

I also won't buy an Olympic.

Will go look up the Logans.

Oh and Lucksta, you would want to check your weights first as a Prado probably wouldn't be legal to tow a 3 horse float even with only 2 horses in it!

9. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

2 horse straight load (built on a 3 horse angle load frame) for me. But then I have a big horse.
    Having travelling him in a 3 horse angle load in the past, he just did not fit at all so there is no way I would go angle load. My friends horse was given the front 2 bays of the angle load and even then she only just fit.

IMHO I wouldn't put a hack in an angle load. They just don't have enough room in them and they always look "jammed" in the bays.

What people need to remember is that whilst an angle load bay may seem much longer than the straight loads, they need to fit the entire horse, not just the body of the horse like for the straight loads.
    My current float is 3.6m long and I don't know if I'd want an angle load bay much smaller than that if I were to go angle (which I've never seen them that big).

Mirawee, there's a new brand of floats in WA called Izz-Wil-Cal They're essentially a Kalpakoff (Rob has bought Kalpakoff) but has had some upgrades and changes. Whilst he will make any size you want, he's mainly concentrating on angle loads and extra-wide straight loads (so build on an angle frame). They're really well made and best of all they're made here in WA (so much better for after-market service).

10. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I was never that keen on angle loads thinking the bays were too small too but have travelled a few horses in a 4 horse angleload gooseneck and they have had enough room :)