Float Recommendation

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Cowgirl_9, May 6, 2013.

1. Cowgirl_9

Cowgirl_9 Active Member

Im possibly looking at buying a float in the next 6 months so the research begins :)
    Looking at a 2 horse angle load as my horse scrambles in straight loads, and as I will be camping in the float nearly every time I use it I like to push all the dividers back and have a nice big open space. Must be fully enclosed for camping in wet weather, swing out tack box essential, front tack box would be nice. I will towing it with a ford ranger with a 3 tonne tow capacity.
    I would ideally love an aussie made float but I just cant help coming back to the imports, mainly for the price :eek: The apache 2 horse angle with front and swing out tack boxes is $13500! Obviously I will be looking at the floats before making a decision, but thought I would start off by getting stockies recommendations :)

2. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Research, research and more research.

It comes down to your personal preference. :)

I love my Imperial extended 2 horse straight load, but in order to find it, I did alot of reading, asked a lot of questions... Looked at alot of other peoples floats and I asked what they liked/didn't like about their floats. I made a list of must haves as well as a list of things that would be nice to have. I weighed them up against the price and made my choice that way. :)

Have fun float shopping!!

3. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

I bought an Apache last year. It is a Warmblood double angle load and could not be happier with it. It is fantastic to camp in. We use it for camping every second weekend.

We looked at just about every float on the market before going with the Apache. They are good value for money and well built. Yes they are Chinese but the guys who are selling them do a lot of the work here to make sure they are to Aussie standards and safe. My OH is extremely fussy and a perfectionist but even he liked the way they were built especially the fact they they were of made galvanised steel. Love having my little fridge in the float too!! Sharlene is amazing to deal with and she goes above and beyond to help you. The only thing I would change is go for the lift up door not barn doors. I also have the extra large tack box. If you want to look at one before you buy you are welcome to look at ours.

4. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Finding Nemo, why would you go for the lift up door rather than barn doors?

With any float check your dimensions. A lot of angle load floats do not fit larger (ie over 15hh!) horses easily as the bay has to accommodate both the body and neck length.

5. Secret85

Secret85 Well-known Member

I love my float, but it does have it's faults... I also spent a lot of money buying it!
    If I was to have a float built for me again, I would request barn doors - the swing up door has given me bursitis and impingement from pulling it down... I'd really rather not have this pain! ;)

6. finding_nemo

I find the doors rattle. Have spoken to heaps of other people with floats with barn doors and they also said they wish they had gone with lift doors. Looking at forums on the web 90% of people say they would prefer lift doors too. Also, with the lift door I can swing out my tack box and close the whole float up. I guess at the end of the day it is a personal choice.

My float well and truly fits my 2 x 17hh warmbloods. This is why we got the Warmblood sized angle. The length of my bays are 2700mm. Most angles are only 2300mm.

7. finding_nemo

I have bursitis anyhow and it hasn't been caused by pulling down a door. Riding has caused most of my problems :(

8. Black Ice

Black Ice Well-known Member

One of the things I love about my Crisfloat is that the storm cover actually folds DOWN and is secured to the ramp when not used... which is about 90% of the time!

And it doesn't rattle either. Hate floats that you hear before you see!

9. manocaaron

manocaaron Well-known Member

Ive been researching floats for a while myself too.
    I decided I wanted a Two Horse Straight Load, with
    ~Moveable and re-moveable centre divider.
    ~two storm doors instead of canvas or flip up one.
    ~Two front breech doors,
    ~Large front window and good side windows for lots of light,
    ~A tack box
    ~and most importantly for me, I wanted it to be 100% Aussie made from Aussie materials to Aussie standards.

I had an Olympic which I bought in 2003 for $5,500. It was an old 1988 model, very basic one. Over the years I replaced a few important bits but I can honestly say its was a fantastic float for me, I liked everything about it and it towed brilliantly. But I needed an upgrade and wanted a nice new one to last me the next 20 years or so.
    So after looking exhaustively for a second hand 'nearly new' Olympic I finally bit the bullet and ordered a brand newy!!
    Excited is an understatement! :D:):birthday::)):p

Oh and anyone selling an oldy, just a word of warning....think carefully before putting a price on it. I sold mine for a thousand less than we paid for it 10 years ago, and honestly I could have sold it 15 times in the first three hours, :eek:and for much more than I did. But hey it served me well all those years so I was happy with what I got and the girl who bought it really needed something at that price, so it was fair.