float lights

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by mav, Mar 27, 2012.

1. mav

mav Well-known Member

so was travelling behind a float this evening coming home and they had an interior light on whilst driving - was quite a bright light too i could see the horse very clearly from quite a distance back... what are peoples thoughts on having a light inside the float while travelling? only benefit i can see is that you would actually be able to see the horse while moving - is there any other benefits/downfaslls to these?

2. Ridelikeyoumeanit

Ridelikeyoumeanit Active Member

i think it is very distracting for the car tavelling behind them unless of course the back of the float if fully closed in with storm doors.

the driver behind would find it hard to tell from a distance if it was a vehicle on the wrong side of the road, we have ours on for loading in the dark but turn it off for travelling

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I always travel with the light on at night for various reasons however I have storm doors and never travel with them open. If I did not have storm doors my light would not be used while travelling.

4. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

The light in my float only comes on when the car is in park... As soon as you take it out of park it goes off which I think is a very good idea as if I were traveling behind a float with lights on in the back I think I would find it quite distracting.

5. Diesel91

Diesel91 Well-known Member

I dont think it makes any difference and i've never found it distracting or disorientating driving behind a float.. Im sure people have different reasons to why they do travel with it on..

6. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I remember being told by a guy who does float training, that driving with the interior light on at night is disorientating for the horse.
    Not sure how that works though ';'
    I don't use mine at night, but I'd have thought for a fractious horse it could be quite settling as it would lesson the impact of any head lights coming through the front window. ';'

7. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

i actually like that idea the light goes on in park etc...
    will make a note to mention it to hubby when he rewires the float :)