Float, Gooseneck or Truck???

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Jumpingbean, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Ciderlover

Ciderlover Active Member

I have an 80 series Landcruiser which tows my 3angle extended heavy duty custom built float with all my camping gear and 3 horses quite happily.

2. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

I'm sure it does, the landcruiser's are a great vehicle for towing. Whether or not it is within the legal limit or not is a different matter. Most 80 series cruisers are only rated for 2.5t. Same goes pretty much for pre 98 anything landcruiser. Late 97 is when the 75 series got the upgraded chassis (most likely as part of the roll out for the 79 series), March 98 is when the 100 series came in with the strengthened chassis rated at 3.5t. A few RV model's of the 80 series MAY be rated to tow 3.5t but I am not 100% certain on that.

3. Shmoo

Shmoo Well-known Member

Everyone might like to consider the poor float in this too. Most standard double floats generally weigh up to 1900- 2000kg legally, fully loaded, so for e.g. even if your horses weighed 1335kg combined in a 640kg (That is VERY light weight by the way and you may only get a float down to that weight if it was a Crisfloat or I'd question the materials used would have the strength.)you would be well overweight for the floats capability.
    I know someone that has a float that has for want of a better word "trailer axels" on it They are NOT rated to 2t! She can carry one horse on it and I would not recommend her to put two on. It has obviously had two on in the past and the axels are not "straight"

The moral is check you legal weights of both vehicles for your safety and insurance purposes.

When I had mine built, a standard triple set up for two straight up was not legally allowed on the road with my two biggest horses on it as they are generally supplied with 3000kg suspension.
    So in my case I had to build to the strength to carry four large horses as my two are 1200kg each. With all the fruit my float is very heavy at 1860kg empty but is about the same weight as a four horse angle load. (Beware that not all manufactures weigh their floats with the chest bars, divisions, bum bars etc. in them) That takes me to 4260kg and I still had to add gear on top of that. My float is legally capable at 4400kg.:D

4. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

lol Shmoo I rebuilt my float so I know what the floor and sides are made of! :p
    Did my research into materials too as I needed it to be lightweight as I only have a small car.

5. Shmoo

Shmoo Well-known Member

Good'o then just so long as you know it's safe:))

6. mudslide

mudslide Well-known Member

I would vote for a truck, our neighbour has clydies and they travel around in it with no worries.
    When we looked at buying a truck the majority of them had living areas in them and then only room for a couple of horses. So we bought a truck then got a custom built box made up and it everything so far has fitted in regardless of size

7. Jumpingbean

Jumpingbean New Member

Hi taeliesyn, you seem to know a lot about cruisers, have you needed to do homework on this subject for yourself or do you just have an interest in car specs.?

8. taeliesyn

Howdy Jumpingbean,
    I did a lot of research on vehicle for towing our float, seeing as we did things perhaps a little backwards and bought the float first :D
    I wanted a vehicle that could tow 3.5t legally and without killing the engine. Pretty much those vehicles came down to the F series(250, 350) various cruisers and the older 4.2L turbo diesel patrols, excluding trucks.
    The F series though nice were way out of the budget for both purchase and running costs. The Patrols were an option, but I found that some have a habit of over heating when towing in hot conditions. Definitely not good for here. That left me with the Landcruisers. I prefer the tray backs, so that narrowed my search but I did research the 80, 100 and 200 series aswell. The 200 purely out of morbid curiosity (Couldn't afford one!!)
    I decided on a late model(8/97) Series series tray back cruiser. First year of the 75 series that could tow the 3.5 mostly due to the budget, but I also know that those cast iron block engines in them are nearly indestructable if they are serviced. The 79 series have a slightly higher GCM(Gross Combined Mass) than the 75 series (only a few hundred KG).

I am actually a computer geek, and 95% of mechanical type questions go over my head, but if I research something I fully research.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  9. Jumpingbean

Jumpingbean New Member

Yep, you really do do your research, no point doing things by half lol!! I had a 4.2 diesle patrol which was awesome for towing but had to sell as the body was rusting out and it definately wasn't dust proof anymore (gravel road for 15km out to farm). You mentioned hot conditions - where are you located?

10. taeliesyn

Just around Perth (SOR), but after what I read I decided to go with the Cruiser. I was partly swayed by the fact, that the OH has an old 75 series well body cruiser(Bertha) that has pushed past 607000km's on the original engine, and this has been used for towing headers out in the paddocks, pulling tractors out of the dam, pulling stumps out of the ground. It was the farm ute and has been in the family since day 1. She still goes strong(Pulled two horses, 1 being a clydie up todyay hill without missing a beat) as long as the oil is kept up :)

Most of what I read about the Patrols was on caravaning sites, where they tow similar weight loads to floats, but generally for a lot longer distances/times.

11. Jumpingbean

Jumpingbean New Member

I knew I wouldn't be the only one up this late chatting...

12. Ciderlover

Ciderlover Active Member

Just like to add..........taelsyn (sp) my OH is a vehicle licence inspector and a mechanic and we went with a 80 series because of the 3tonn towing power not sure where you got the 2 1/2 from? it is ALL legal.....it is bigger than a Nissan Patrol, so would like to know here you are sourcing your info from?????

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  13. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

ahhhhh, just get a stock trailer. you'll be right mate :)

14. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

We have a 3 horse float & a 6 horse truck .....we like the truck for comfort & living when we are away at comps & the float if we are going a short distance, only taking upto 3 horses & not sleeping over :)

15. scotchmel

scotchmel New Member

We have a 3 horse goosey (with all the living) we tow with a 01 cruiser (turbo diesel) and we havent had a problem - we tow our very fat around 550kg QH, we can tow in the heat with air con on.

We bought our ute in QLD and saved heaps, to get what we got we were looking at $40k, but we picked ours up for $30k - and i know we sure didnt use $10k in fuel to get back ;)

Not sure on limits but when we put it over the pits (to get WA registered) we were told that we were well under the legal tow limit. Best bet is to ring your local police or DPI to find the towing limits.

16. lil bec

lil bec Well-known Member

we have a truck :) our old one was only really a pony truck but we carried a big warmblood in it.

17. taeliesyn

Hi Ciderlover,
    My information comes from a variety of sources, redbook.com.au, the haymen reese site(Yes it's a towbar site, but I'm pretty sure there is some legal requirement for them to NOT make a towbar that can tow more than the vehicle is legally allowed to tow), several forums and the best place for information if you have a specific year in mind, Toyota itself.

I would love to know what year/model number(FJZ80R, HJZ80R etc) your cruiser is, so I can add it to my mental database of vehicles that can tow over 2.5t :)
    I'm not saying every single 80 series is limited to 2.5t, just that in my research, the majority of 80 series I have come across were. I didn't do too much research on the 80 series as I wanted a ute.

18. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

Hey i have a dodge horse truck which fits my 16.3hh T/B in it nicely, plus two others all comfortably.

19. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

i know this is an old thread buuuuuttttt.... i am embarking on the float/towing vehicle buying spree in the new yr and i have already settled my sights on a 100 series cruiser more than likely wagon. the wagons have a higher towing capacity (they are heavier than the utes... hence more stopping power) and a custom double extended float. my big guy is a larger than normal tb (we estimate him to be ~650kg) and if i was to get my mare back to perth, the two of them on board would put me 1400kg+ worth of horse... plus my estimate of fully loaded float puts me around 2.8t. this is well within the towing capacity of the cruiser.

i prefer personally to drive the cruiser to the patrol - the patrol has gear ratios designed to be great off road (sluggish on-road) my ex loves his patrol and doesnt mind towing with it at all. not sure about the patrols overheating tho (some of the 3L diesels had block problems due to the extra boost in the turbo after the GQ), his was fantastic, never missed a beat and they have been given rave reviews in mags such as 4x4 Australia. the best review was to the 200series, but then if you can afford (and then afford to run) one of them, why not go the F250 for towing, bigger roomier car, they work out about the same to run with a trailer on the back!

20. I've got a 4.5L patrol - petrol unfortunately which can be a guzzler but it tows beautifully and cruises along. I've got a triple horse float but when I carry my big 17'3h warmblood I generally only take one other horse - particularly as my boy takes one and a half bays now. The triple has the electric brake system and I've also got this other electric thingy (not sure what it's called LOL) which I can control from inside the car (mounted near the centre console). It has a slider switch that can be set on auto or used in an emergency braking situation. On top of this, I have sway bars to sturdy the float and a big kick butt reese hitch tow bar! The package tows well but I think I would possibly consider diesel for my next 4WD or if I won lotto def look at a nice big F250! My friend has one and it tows effortlessly!