Float, Gooseneck or Truck???

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Jumpingbean, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Jumpingbean

Jumpingbean New Member

I have two horses, one a clydie x weighing 870kg on a lean week 16.2hh and a little paint 2yr old 465kg 15.2hh and still growing. Question is, what do people tow their heavy horses with? At the moment I can only do one at a time for safety reasons (standard double and Toyota Landcruiser) Have thought of a truck but the ones I have followed down the road all look top heavy and not too stable. And a gooseneck will also mean a new car won't it?? Will keep playing lotto, but what does everyone else do?

2. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

What year/model is your landcruiser? A custom float might be your best option.

3. Piliga

Piliga New Member

I've gotta have a vote for the gooseneck :)*

You can get a turntable put onto a cruiser. We tow our gooseneck with our cruiser.

A close friend has a Navara with a turntable and tows a decent sized extended double straight load gooseneck.

I've also kept my Ranger horsefloat I've had for years as it was a custom for one of my horses (bays weren't big enough) - it's a rather large size for a double straight load float and my current cruiser tows like a dream.

Our new 08 model turbo diesel cruiser is a dream machine. Will be taking us around Australia soon

Just depends on your budget.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  4. Shmoo

Shmoo Well-known Member

I have this to tow my guys, it's custom. It is Angle width but a straight load and they fit as a normal horse fits a roomy float.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anything on and angle would be too short in the bays and if you had a gooseneck, you would still need to custom build and build straight load or build the bays at such an angle that your vehicle would end up very long.

A truck would be OK as long as it has a max width box (24-2500 from memory) and the you would need to either give the horse one and a half bays or custom make a bay that is on and angle.

Most trucks (and floats) also don't have enough height. For anything over 16.3 you need at least 2350mm internal height to be fair to the horse.

5. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

Hey Shmoo what sort of car do you tow with?

6. Shmoo

Shmoo Well-known Member

HEHE Oh the joys of owning big horses.....I tow with a truck, reasons being (in my case)
    1.That my float weighs 4400kg fully loaded with two 1200kg horses, water and gear.
    2. I also need to load the carriages on something, so hence a truck.:p

7. JessiTrist

Ah good idea!

At the moment Im using a Diesel Land Cruiser and an extended double, but might need something bigger in the near future!

8. Jumpingbean

Jumpingbean New Member

Thanks for advice Schmoo. You have a really nice float by the way - thanks for the pics. My big fella needs the extra height yes but he is also quite compact so the width of the bays hasn't been a problem so far (fingers crossed), he is eight going on nine so should be finished growing.
    JessiTrist, what sort of weight do you have to contend with?
    I also forgot to mention that my Cruiser is a wagon so a turntable for a gooseneck isn't an option.
    Feel free to post pics of your towing vehicles and floats.

9. JessiTrist

This is my float and car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chickie is a Clydesdale cross but not even 2yrs old yet. I dont think she is going to be 'huge' but my OH wants a heavy horse (purebred) aswell.

10. Jumpingbean

Jumpingbean New Member

Do you have a picture of Chickie as well? Finding transport is tough, wait till you have to find a saddle to fit her properly as well when you are ready.
    Might start another thread just for heavy horses...

11. JessiTrist

Here are my most recent ones of Chickie;
    (sorry bout the size!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was a Heavy Horse thread in Open aswell!

Chickie is only tiny, still in 5'6 rugs ?? But about 15.1hh

12. Shmoo

Shmoo Well-known Member

HeHe 5'6 rugs, she looks like a lovely compact little horse.
    Nothing like my lumbering boofheads they take 7'3 rugs:D [​IMG]

13. JessiTrist

When I bought her I wanted a BIG horse LOL

Your horses are beautiful, drove past on my way home from Armadale today, theyre stunning!

14. taeliesyn

What year is your Cruiser?

15. Jumpingbean

Jumpingbean New Member

It's a 1996 80 series, an oldie but very reliable country car.

16. Jumpingbean

Jumpingbean New Member

Chickie is only tiny, still in 5'6 rugs ?? But about 15.1hh[/QUOTE]

Love the colouring and she looks like she loves a bit of fun! Don't forget that these cross breeds take a handful more years to reach their mature size, so being only two she might get a bit taller. Whatever happens your going to have fun, they have aewsome personalities - but what horse dosen't? LOL

17. taeliesyn

Unfortunately, that very likely means you have a tow limit of 2.5t (There is atleast 1 model of cruiser wagon petrol that will tow 3.5)

With currently 1300+kg of horse you could still get custom made that will carry your horses, but you might end up having a float that once loaded is beyond the capacity of your car to tow legally. Going with a custom float, means you might be able to get it quite light, but I am not sure.

If you can go the custom route and get everything to come in under 2.5t I would go the custom. Otherwise you are really left with the option of a custom float and new vehicle that will tow 3-3.5t or a truck

18. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Gooseneck is better IMO than a truck. (Since the float option is out lol).
    With a goosey you can take the car off and nick off down the drivethru etc without moving all your gear etc. However a truck is a cheaper option.

Cheap gooseneck $20,000
    Plus cost of Ute to tow with $10,000-20,000

But you can pick up old Hino horsetrucks for like $12,000.

Or buy a lightweight double float. Use your current Landcruiser. Simple. 1500kg of horse and gear, 1000kg float. Easy.

19. Jumpingbean

Jumpingbean New Member

As I said at the start, I have two horses. At the moment I move them one at a time which hasn't been a problem but my paint is nearly ready to show and as I live in Toodyay, running up and down the hill twice isn't an option. And yes I know that I can just take them in turns to shows - solves problem... but I have seen big horses being floated together, hence my question. Wanted to hear how other people coped. I am leaning more towards the gooseneck option though with an F250. Thanks for posting though.

20. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Hi JB, yes I realise you have two horses :) I can read! lol :p But you can tow your two horses together......
    I have added up the weights you have given. 870kg and 465kg, this makes 1335kg. I then rounded it up to 1500kgs to allow for your youngster growing and your big horse on a good week ok. This still gives you 1000kg to play with for a float (to keep within weight regulations of 2500kg for your car). My double float only weighs 640kg, I know this as I work on a weighbridge lol, and also that very same float has carted about a friesian gelding and a TB mare together and I reckon that fresian would weigh as much as your big boy and my TB mare more than your gelding. And I did this with a Toyota Landcruiser also. So a lightweight float CAN do both horses.

So really I would just like to say that it can be done, you can fit your two horses in one double float and tow it with your Landcruiser. Dont just write it off, you dont seem to have given my suggested option much consideration :)

PS.... we have a F250 and if you have a spare $80,000 to $100,000 laying about plus the diesel it uses LOL then you can jolly well afford to buy whatever you like LOL LOL **)