float flooring

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Gamby, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

We are just about to replace the floor on our float and wondering if anyone knows the best place to buy the wood. We are using 25mm hardwood.
    Have been to Bunnings but they only have 19mm or 30mm which is either too thin or too thick.

2. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Interested to see the outcome of this thread as I am doing the hardwood float floor search atm too :) I rang a few timber merchants but they would only do big bulk orders :(

3. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Buy the 30mm and get someone to machine it down for you.

I bought my horsefloat timber at Cullity's. Certainly wasnt a 'bulk' order, it was one horsefloats worth.

Personally if I was ever to put a float floor in again, I would go with 25mm form-ply.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  4. pso

pso Gold Member

Why not just go the extra 5mm and use the 30??';'

5. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Because it adds extra weight to a float that doesnt need extra weight added to it. It currently has 25mm so thats what we want it replaced with.

Interesting KS you would go for the form ply only. A few of the float companies i have recently spoken to are going for hardwood with some ply over the top but definitely not formply on its own. Im going to stick with hardwood cos its what i know and has worked well for the years i have owned floats.
    I have a few names of places that i have to call tomorrow that stock 25mm or at least have 50mm and because we have all the wood working tools here at home we can machine it ourselves. I'll let you know what i find Hen

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Yeah no worries Gamby, I believe to do form-ply properly would require a fair bit more bar-work underneath to properly re-inforce it. 25mm is the thickest you can buy form-ply... we use it a fair bit for work and I have seen how tough it is. :)

We have hardwood in our gooseneck, its great as its 40mm thick, and has 20mm gaps between each plank, this means the timber can dry out easily if it gets wet/peed on. Of course there is rubber over the top, but the pee still manages to sneak down and this way nothing rots. :)

7. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I paint the hardwood with waterproofing goop KS, and put treated (gooped lol) ply over the top of it, then rubber matting on top of that. Looking into spray on rhino liner or similar this time to stop anything leaching through seams.

Thanks Gamby, appreciate it :))

8. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Just thought I would let you know Hen that I found not many places that stock cheaper hardwood than bunnings. Salvage and general in kelmscott did have some that was around the same price as bunnings too so they could be worth a try.
    Luckily for me my dad works with wood and was able to get jarrah for free which we have buzzed down to 25mm. We have pulled out the old floor which was Tasmanian oak which was probably fine to keep in but I feel bettee knowing its been replaced.

Anyone know where to get fairly cheap plywood?

9. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Thanks Gamby, yes it is looking like Bunnings is the go! We got some ply from there fairly cheaply actually :) then painted waterproofing goop on the boards, we got that from there too, cannot remember for the life of me what it is called though!!

10. lex

lex Well-known Member

I am reviving this thread so hopefully people can jump in and offer your experiences.

We are currently re-furbing an old extended float (it was a custom job).

All the wheel bearings have been re-done and we have already ripped up the floor as it was terribly rotted. It was patched with ply (on it's own) and wood decking in different areas. ';'
    It is reinforced under neath with steel & my partner is doing all the re-welding of the joins. That part we have sorted.
    The flooring is all new to us so I'm interested to hear what people have used.
    We were looking at laying marine ply over the top of the steel then laying thick rubber over the top of that. Reading above, it looks as though the ply on it's own is not enough?