Float Colour Question...

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Arnie, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thankyou so much for your help guys :).

I like the two toned coloured ones too and although the white is nice I think having a light silver on top would look that little bit nicer and still be nice and cool. Just like yours Kiwigirl, maybe even a shade lighter if they have it!

Even if the darker shades don't heat up inside I think I still prefer to stay as light as possible considering how much hotter it gets out here and the long float trips.

How are you liking your Imperials?

2. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

I love it.

It tows great, the horses travel great in it. and it is great value for money.

3. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

The only good colour IMO for a float outside is PURPLE ALL THE WAY **)

4. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

We are still loving ours.. a few things we would change and could of got them changed if we hadn't of wanted the float then and there!. Just like the lighter colour roof, different position for the spare.. minor things we can and will change when we need too.
    The lighter colour is the way to go, though we don't have a heat issue we will eventually have both the roof and the inside done a lighter colour.

Here are a few pics of ours Arnie.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We don't use the collapsible feed bins any more, just stick with the good old fashioned hay bags :)

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks Taeliesyn - thats a lovely float!
    I was thinking about the position of the spare tire aswell. Where would you prefer to move it to? I was thinking about asking to have my installed at the front of the float laying down (outside) if you get me?

Thanks for your input on the colour! I think I will def go a nice light silver for that extra look and will be sure to enquire what colour they'll put putting on the inside and request white anyway.

That box on the mudgaurd, have you found it useful for anything in particular?

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

:eek: I can just see King planting his feet and refusing to get in haha.

7. Kiwigirl

yep I use the side tack box to store feed when I go away over night (I make feeds up in plastic bags) and it is lockable so it is useful at the beach (if you know what I mean ;))

8. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

We don't store much in the side tack box, mostly just a tarp for covering the tow hitch etc, the lock for it and a few other little bits and pieces.
    One of these days I will get around to putting a wheel brace and ramp in there for changing the tire if we have to.

The spare I would like to move to the front of the float standing up actually(Outside). As we commonly put stuff on the filled in frame whilst at shows and would like to keep some of that room.

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks for your help, input and advice guys!!! I'm going to order my float with some minor changes to it (if they let you ;)).

I've just thought of a colour combination that would look really nice and suit my car really well!!! Unfortunatly now your going to have to wait until I've got my float before I let you know what the colours are :D.

10. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

YES!! It's really blue inside :D I'll get a pic tomorrow :)

If you want to come look at it while you're in Perth let me know :)*

11. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

SO jealous Arnie!!!

With the spare tyre, the safest place is secured to the front of the float, upright. Not a good idea to have them laying down on the A Frame as legs can get stuck in them.

I would opt for extra height also, if you're going all out with a speccy new float you may as well make it so you can put pretty much any size horse in there, you don't know what size steed you could end up with down the line *#);)

Another thought is seeing if they can have something to secure the bum bars to the outside, they're a bit of a pain if your on a bit of a slope, they swing into the horses etc. I don't think the Imperials have them as standard.

Lastly, see if you can get absolutely everything on the float that has hollow sections, filled in. Have a look at the pic of that angle load, above the tail lights would be great if they could fill them in for you. If you ever have a rearer or a big panic, legs can go in there also. And I would get the swing out barn doors like that one too.

aaaaah I am seriously green with envy!!! they're a great float, Sienna is generally a pretty big mover in floats, just because she's little and likes to see what's going on LOL. But in petamc's Imperial she travelled sooooo well, I was pretty impressed :D

12. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks so much Bon&Ted! Some very good points there!

I think I def will request my tire to go at the front standing up so I don't have to change it later :).

I wasn't sure about the extra height because we're buying it out right (no loans! lol) and is just another thing added onto the costs lol. But I'll look into it! I might be able to come up with the extra before it arrives! Your right, I do plan on hunting for a HUGE over sized warmblood mare sometime down the track :D.

I thought the same about the tail lights too. Wondered why they wern't filled in and was going to query this when I visited. I think with the amount of young horses I'm going to be showing over the years the risk of a nervous rear is probably high and may be worth having that filled in!

Thanks again! Some very good points made there! I'm going to write everything down so I don't forget when I go make my order!

WOOT so excited!

13. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thankyou! Your too kind!
    I hear you might be dragging Vixy out to a show before her lovely lady comes out here for a play date ;).

14. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

You never know what could happen :D I never thought I'd end up with a plus size horse *#)

Jingles is 16.2ish and she fits just fine into the extended standard height Imperial, but if I was buying for myself I think I would go the extra height just incase she has an upset on the way out LOL. The way I see it, for me it's a big investment to make so better to make it all perfect otherwise you may aswell just go second hand.

Damn, maybe I should forget about uni and buy a flashy float!!

15. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Why not! :D
    I forgot about my husband and buying one :p.

I only sat him down tonight and told him what I'm doing hahaha. Although do you know what I got in return? "Yep sure babe! Go ahead" :eek:

The main reasons we're upgrading are:

Safer set up (ballance to the car).
    Electric brakes.
    Room in the front for the horses to stretch out and put their head down over long distances (my current one doesn't allow this).
    Storage area which will declutter the car with trips to Perth expecially when we have luggage for the kids too!
    Storm doors to stop the worl pool of dust that happens when travelling on the roads we do and the horses in hail it.
    New float, no usage (no wear and tear) and we will know its service history.
    And then of course its included safety features like the latches etc.

So he agree'd all of this means safer trips on the road for the horses and us in the car :).

Then again...I might of thought of all these reasons to help convince him :D.
    I think I will go the extra hight thanks B&T! Its only $500 extra.

Can't wait to get out and about more! :D

16. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

Definitely get the tail lights filled in if you are planning to tie to the rear tie up point on the float. We never tie to this one so we have not worried about it at this stage.

Also another thing I would be asking about with the Imperials is with the side tack box it does not have rounded edges (they are not sharp but IMO they could do with a bit more rounding off) although ours has never caused any problems, I am constantly worried about it when Zophia is tied next to it. At the moment I hang a rug over it to offer some padding should she panic for whatever reason and knock herself of the edge of it.

The one other thing that I am very fussy about and will be changing with ours is I do not like vertical bars for head, stallion dividers. I worry that if a horse rears it can get a leg caught in those bars (unlikely but over the years I have learnt never to underestimate a horses desire to injure itself on show day). I much prefer square mesh for these dividers, similar to what they use for the overhead rugrack.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  17. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

No worries :) as I said before if you can't test drive theirs you can test drive mine :)
    Vix has my number....if she's not busy she should come down too

good day for testing how hot floats get it's going to be 37 :eek:

Yes trying to drag her out :) one more before she can't be ridden :D:)*

18. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

For memory the Imperials bum bars can be opened from either side so there's no issue with them swinging into the horse.
    If you're on a slope, you simply open it from the other side so it swings away from the horse :)
    Editted to add - just looking at the website and it seem some so and some don't.
    Perhaps it's an option you could request at time of ordering ?

Have to agree with you Dayna **)
    Another reason I don't like the head divider the way they have it, is because I can't hang a hay bag on it :p
    I know those floats have another point further forward that you can clip the hay bag to, but the few times I've had my little T/B in Kiwigirls float, I've noticed how far she has to stretch forward to reach her hay.
    It's no problems for Kiwi's big fella, but not so good for short @rse GG's. :)

Good luck with your purchase Arnie.
    Look forward to the pictures once you take delivery :))

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  19. Kiwigirl

the square mesh on the dividers is a good idea, but you can hang a hay bag up on the dividers as they are, there is just a knack to it, and I'm too lazy to do it, which is why I put the hay bag where I do (on the front tie up points)

My bum bars can be opened from both sides. :D

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks guys!!! Another thing to ask about!
    I wouldn't of thought of all this until after I had bought the float aswell so I'm really greatful you've all given me the heads up so I can question them apon ordering :). Thanks so much!

I have a big list now and I keep studying pictures to see if I can think of anything else before I go check them out!