Flies!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Lauren, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

My boy hates flies, he shakes his head and bites himself trying to get them of him. It makes it difficult to do anything with him because i feel bad for holding the reins with contact coz he can't get rid of them, but at the same time i need the contact to control him. Does anyone know of some natural homemade Fly Repellents?

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Ride him in a fly veil.

3. proud mum

proud mum Well-known Member

The natural product by Dean White has been great for us this year . We have used the cream one on our horses leg wounds and also put it on the horses faces if you dont like to ride with a fly veil. It keeps the flies off for ages. And it also comes in the spray form. You can get it from Oakford stockfeeds:)

4. Wendycam1

Wendycam1 Well-known Member

Brilliant product ProudMum. It's called 'Natures Botanicals' I think. I think the cream is better than the spray and last longer.

5. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I do ride him in a flyveil, but they go in his ears and on his legs and stomach so he bites them.

6. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Thanks. I'm their tomorow... he's eating through his food and my wallet... :)

7. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Yes please. I'm willing to give anything ago. xD

8. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Be wary of some of the homemade repellants. I used the vinegar, lavender oil, eucalyptus oil one on my horse and he went ballistic, within minutes of putting it on he started itching a bit, and then went furious, rearing, kicking jumping around everywhere. I had to scrub it off straight away, it also left him with some nasty welts on his sides. It works for most horses but if you have a sensitive skinned horse I've found Aerogard to be the best, it doesn't work as well as vinegar etc might, but it's something and it's quite gentle on their skin.

Good luck **)

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Even try good ol' citronella oil diluted in a spray bottle or Permoxin.

10. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I use reflections spray with the added citronella in it, seems to work, I can't work him in a fly veil as he hates it but he doesnt get all that agitated at the flys when being worked, its just when standing around.

11. daydreamer

daydreamer New Member

i just use a fly veil, cotton rug and some flyboots (the ones that stay up!) and my boy is fine. he doesnt stomp or kick at all.
    but i tried to put him out without it all once, just to give him a day off, and he went crazy stomping and biting at the flies!

12. electra

electra New Member

Theres another fly spray around this summer that ive been using. It's called BGone, awesome product ive found. Keeps the flies away and doesnt leave ur horse smelling like a chemical factory also leaves a beautiful shine on their coats. All natural products, i got mine from Saddles plus in Byford but i know Nagmart have it too....

13. Lasix

Lasix New Member

I use aerogard spray for the body, Aerogard roll-on for around his nostrils (he needs it so he doesn't inhale flies while we're working) and ride in a flyveil. You need to shampoo the roll-on off after exercise though as it dries into hard streaks. He also gets regular whole body shampoos (with particular attention to his face) during summer as he's a messy eater and the flies seem to be attracted to the dinner he has perpetually smeared all over his nose.

14. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

northam chaff have an awesome natural spray at the moment, its not oily, smells great, and doesn't sting cuts(not that i put it directly on his cuts, but i have got it in my own and doesn't sting at all*#) )