Fitting a Grackle Noseband

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by crave, Sep 17, 2008.

1. crave

crave Well-known Member

Hi guys could someone please explain (and show piccies if possible) of how to correctly fit a grackle noseband. I have the one with the rings at the side. Lady at horseland said the rings sit a finger width under the cheek bone but I was on the understanding they sat above. Thanks for your help.

2. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

Its hard to explain how they go without seeing wat time of grakle it is...

3. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

4. crave

crave Well-known Member

Thanks Nikiwink, thats the grackle that I have iin the link you provided . It just looks a bit high and seeing I was told to place it lower under the bone I feel like I've been getting the wrong info. Dont want to fit it wrongly. If anyone uses one and has a good photo that would be excellent. Cheers.

5. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I have never used one with rings but the ones I have seen do look as though they are too high so maybe thats just the way they are meant to be.

6. Nikiwink

i haven't used a grackle noseband in years (or a hanovarian/flash for that matter :) ) so i may be out of date but the picture on the website shows how i was taught to fit it -ie above the cheek bone - but well above it so is sits flatish with the jaw (ie not on the cheek bone) - Does that make sense??

My understanding is that they are used to stop horses crossing the jaw.

7. crave

crave Well-known Member

Yep thats what my boy does, crosses his jaw...very frustrating. Thanks for the info, will just have to give it a go.

8. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

A grackle can be worn 2 ways ... with the rings sitting above the cheek bone and below. When it's sitting above the cheek bone it's generally known as the "american grackle". I've found that a lot of the horse shops sell ones which don't fit whatever way you want them to fit!!! This drives me mad! Best thing to do is measure your horses head from where you want the grackle to sit on the nose to the cheek peice and then around the back .... I ended up picking up a custum made one for someone else which fited my horse perfectly .... and even better the nose part was fixed like it should be **) .

9. crave

crave Well-known Member

Thanks Springbok, have you got a photo of it on your lovely horsey.

10. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

There are two types of grakle, the Mexican/ American Grackle wich sits high above the cheekbone, and the english Grackle (usually without a ring on the side) that sits more like a Hanovarian or Flash noseband, below the cheekbone.

Cool website link, Nikiwink- lots of info!

11. Nikiwink

No worries on the link - i've found it very usefull over the years :)

12. goldenvalley09

goldenvalley09 New Member

Hi,
    I have a grakle too, and i have the rings sort of underneath the cheek piece.

13. Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon Well-known Member

Welcome to the forum GV09 :)

Unfortunately this thread is a little outdated... nearly 2 years old ;)