FINE! I will make our own Stbred x thread then!

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Heifer, Feb 15, 2010.

?
  1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    48.0%
  3. Maybe

21 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. smash

smash Well-known Member

heifer, are you saying that you could do better with this horse ???
    i would say that the RIDER is getting the best out of this horse IMPO

2. alex

alex Well-known Member

I think what heifer was wondering was if that was this horses limit??? If it can go further or if this was pushing it?
    I didn't look at the video, so I'm not sure, but perhaps she is saying that another breed would find this easier and be able to go further on than this horse?
    From experience, all the good STBs I have seen when compared to what I would usually pick personally, are not quite in the same league.
    Don't get me wrong I think a few, mainly Pazzam, were lovely stallions, it's a shame he didn't breed when he had the chance.
    As I've said before, I have nothing against the STB blood being in the lines, as it may have helped to make a better horse, but I don't see what the WB or TB would gain from another cross. I don't see any attributes in the modern STB that I would like to put into said.
    I think someone else mentioned it before, but we don't put anything else into a STB to make it a better racehorse, because thats what they've been purpose bred for for hundreds of years...
    I still fail to see how crossing a STB with a WB or TB would produce a better jumping horse than breeding within the breeds considered the norm for the sport. And I'm sorry, but that's my opinion and I will stick to it.

3. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

thanks CM thats right :) I wasnt having a go at the rider, just wondering whether the horse was the limiting factor, or the rider. I dont doubt that my coach would have done much better on my horse than me for example!

4. PPH

PPH Guest

Damned if they do, damned if they don't :)

5. kp

kp Well-known Member

I find it interesting that you single out one standardbred (and a stallion at that) that you think should breed on? Why him? You have made yourself clear that you do not want standardbred blood in your horses (don't apologise for that, it is fine) and then single out one horse that you have seen (or handled, not sure if you ever dealt with him). Why?

6. smash

smash Well-known Member

you are not wrong BM :))

7. FDPH

FDPH Guest

Does everyone realise they are just loving a silly argument and OF COURSE there are brilliant individuals in EVERY breed. Perhaps some should take courses in horse breeding and owning. I look on the forum and every second horse is "pigrooting", "rearing", float loading issues and the list goes on, and those same people want to breed their mares!! Those who have so many horse issues should NOT breed, go buy a nice STB, save it from the pet food chain and get some lessons!! Sorry that is offensive but in reality it is also the cold hard truth..!!

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

LOLOLOL
    Don't you know there is no place for good honest debate FD?

Indignation rules! I'm just glad that my real world is a whole lot larger than some peoples!! @)

9. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

OMG this is the most intelligent thing said in this debate so far!!! **):)):}

10. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

It might be if it were anywhere near accurate ;)

Looking back through those who've put forward their factual experiences, those who are planning to produce Standy X's and those who own them or are currently in foal with said "pollution", I've not seen that many who can be cross-referenced to Problem Horse issues.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :}

smash I love that Standy/Andy

11. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

some are staying very quiet on the debate though wattle, and i do think that the philosphy is right. I worry about training and riding not about trying to breed the next best thing - so many people are already doing that aspect already and there are SO many good horses available!

12. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Yes, there are many, many good horses out there at the moment. Perhaps we should all take a few years off breeding then? To catch up? Sorry, not following the relevance (seriously).

Personally, I am breeding a horse I want to ride, I want to train, and not another one taken on because the Breeder hasn't cared where it ended up.

That's a whole other discussion though ;)

13. Hi there:)
    I've just remembered some posts of people who were bidding on Fire and Flood auction for stallions services (was a good cause to help victims in Vic and QLD**)).
    Some bidders won the bids not owning a mare to use!:confused:
    I remember they were saying that they would have to go and get themselves cheap SB and TB mares to use the services. Very often it happens when someone wins a raffle for a service.
    What does that tell you?
    Can you call it planned breedings decisions? Or spur of the moment ones?:}
    Is a free or cheap service a good enough reason to breed a foal out of a SB or TB mares? Why not save one instead?:confused:
    cheers, lena

14. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I was one of those people Lena :D I have happily forfeited one of the services too. As you say, the money went to a good cause :D

I am more than thrilled with the one service I did choose to utilise as it means I can now breed my dream horse about 4.5 years ahead of my PLANNED breeding programme. Lucky me hey :D

But again.....that is for another discussion :p

15. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Agree Lena.

In the end, it will always be easier to be "in" horses by breeding than by being a good competitor/trainer. I'm going to get shot for this, but how often is it those that can ride, and those that cant breed. (not always of course, but i see it alot).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  16. hahaha Heifer! It is not easier to be "in" horses by breedeing.*#)
    It is costly and doesn't happen in a day (if you are serious and dedicated to your breeding program), it takes years and fortunes spent on GOOD breeding stock to build up a name and reputation.
    lena

17. PPH

PPH Guest

And then there are those who breed because they can't or are no longer able to ride.

Or those that ride because they are not in the position, financialy or otherwise, to breed.

18. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Or people like me who suck at both breeding and riding, perhaps I should get a Minni lol.

19. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

*#)*#)*#):D:D heheheheh

20. Hills Chick

Hills Chick New Member

Just a general comment for this debate -

good horses come in all shapes and sizes, 2 champions could breed a 'donkey' and 2 'donkies' could breed a champ - why limit yourself, I've seen some pretty ordinary horses with impeccable bloodlines.

Myself, I aim to better the base animal, if it happened to be a SB/Tb/ASH/WB that I used to do this, what would it matter as long as the resulting progeny was a step up