Fighting all the way

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Lisa, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Yes Icebabie I know what you mean and this mare has also been chased by motorbikes in her past (one thing we were told about) My daughter does that Monty Roberts 'join up' thing, you know drives her away till shes had enough then turn your back and the horse comes over...follows her around and gives over to her. She respects us but the underneath message from her is fear. We have tried everything and as she has only been handled by my daughter and myself for the last 9 weeks (since moving to our own property) I did hope for a lot more improvement in her relaxing around us. I can't see her changing as she is 12 and they say they have formed their personalities by the time of 7 to 9 years.

2. sil

sil Gold Member

I know it is extremely hard but she needs to concentrate and discipline herself that when her horse walks, she gives her a soft contact. When she jogs or trots, she gets a tug and brought back down then RELEASE otherwise there is no reward for the mare responding and slowing down, and she doesnt realise that is the right thing to do.

By fighting her all the way home her mouth will get worse and worse. Your daughter will probably be quite tense from this which makes the suituation harder.

This may help: Instead of riding all the way out, turning and coming all the way back; ride her out a fifty metres, turn and come back (on a soft contact). If she behaves well (ie better than usual, not necessarily perfectly) then give her lots of praise and put her away. Next time ride her out a hundred, then hundred fifty, down to the corner etc. Halt her frequently and give her a tidbit of carrot, so she learns standing still she can expect something nice. Soon when you halt she will do so readily and expect her tidbit, then you can mix it up with some kind words and a pat on the neck. Be tactful and try not to provoke a fight unless you are sure you will win.

Then when she starts trying to reef home, halt, release, tidbit or a kind word. Ask for a walk, give the rein. If she walks fast, that is fine. If she breaks into a jog or trot, halt, release, tidbit. Ask for a walk.

Yeah boring stuff but if she wants to deal with the cure and not just treat the problem this ought to work. Changing the bit wont change her outlook.

~ Do as much as it takes, do as little as it takes. ~

3. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Thanks everyone for your help but we have now sold this mare. Too much for a 14 year old to take on when there are plenty of quiet horses out there. We did try but at the end of the day when riding became a battle the fun went out of it.

LJ

4. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

yeah, sometimes you have to make the decision, not just for the fun in riding for your daughter but also her saftey. there is only soo much pulling young arms can handle before something gives.
    Do you have a new horse for your daughter?

-bec-

5. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Well Beccy, my daughter is going to take on my 3 year old appaloosa filly which has been broken for a year now and is ready to get some further training. We plan to do western together as I have a fully trained QH and this little filly promises to be something special. We wanted to get back to 2 horses (1 each) and do heaps together with them. She is green but beautiful nature and above all DOES NOT PULL!!! Its a relief to make a decision.

6. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

thats wonderful =) good luck to you both, and lets hope this one will be a sucess for your daughter

-bec-

7. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

I am pleased to read that you have sacked the mare. It is so hard for anyone who has this sort of horse to tolerate , and as Becky has said , it takes all the fun out of equitation. It is also a danger to her and to others who are riding with her.
    As I have said , I have had some terrors to retrain for different people , but wouldn't waste good time and energy on a rat for myself or my family. I did what you are doing , and used a young one of our own which we had broken in and educated. At least then you know where you are up to with them , and what you have to work with. There are no hidden little suprises in them.
    It really annoys me that people are so unscrupulous that they will sell on horses that they have either spoiled themselves or couldn't do anything with , to young and inexperienced riders , knowing that there could be a bad accident.
    A few years ago , I sacked a TB mare that I had , even though she had absolutley terrific paces , and was a smart as a tack , but was a real bitch. She would rear and thrown herself down if she couldn't get her way. She had been spoiled by her first owners , who I know very well. This is how I came to have her.
    As she was too small for my boys , and even though I had another small rider , I would not let her on this mare , as I would not have been able to forgive myself if she had hurt Shannon, my young rider.
    She was sent to stud to breed Anglos from.

Jo

8. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

You did inform the new people about her problems didnt you??? Were they more suitably experienced to take her on??

Hannah

9. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Yes her new owners are adults experienced riders with 300 acres. I had heaps of calls about this mare and was totally honest about her, fact is with a market harbourough on and heaps of flatwork she is ok. Trouble is my daughter is sick of arena work. Anyway I would never bull about a horse its just too dangerous and integrity is my middle name.