Fetlock Overextension

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Windorah Farms, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Has anyone has any experience with a horse whose hind fetlock over extends....where it has to click back into position when they walk? (Im terrible at explaining...sorry)

What causes this???

Thanks in advance :)

2. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

hmmmmmm....do you mean the hind fetlock kind of comes forward then clicks back as the horse steps weight on to it and it looks almost like it is double jointed??

If so then, yes, There is a lady down the end of the road from where I am keeping my horse and her young one does it.

(I think my description is as good as yours LOL!)

3. ljp

ljp Well-known Member

If you mean the pastern slopes too far forward this can be a problem. I've no experience with it but have read that these horses can come up sore with heavy work and aren't suited to jumping (correct me if I'm wrong) I would personally stear away from any horse that has either too upright pasterns or too slopey.

If you mean the horse is forging (his hind toes over step and clip his front feet this is another thing.

4. Im thinking more along the lines of what Princeton described...(double jointed...) and yes in the hind leg/legs.

Does this lady thinks its a probelm with her youngster?

5. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007