fencing for night yards

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by xyzabc, Feb 15, 2015.

1. xyzabc

xyzabc New Member

Good morning,

I'm looking for advice on constructing night yards. We have 2 geldings, each 14.2hh, who have been together 6 months now and get along pretty well (except for the ritual morning stoush). We need to yard them overnight for a number of reasons and have selected a suitable site. Long term we aim to have 2 yards, each with a covered shelter, but lack of $$ mean that won't happen straight away.

We intend to start off with 1 yard 10m x 6m to be shared and subdivide it later. Are there any views either way as to whether we should go with 2 long yards of 10m x 3m or 2 square-ish yards of 5m x 6m? Need to know because we'll get both gates put in first up. I tend to favour the longer ones but wanting to know if many places have the square ones for some reason that I'm missing?

We are looking at using welded stock fences but want to know if this is suitable or if there are other styles recommended for use in night yards.

You advice would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

Personally I'd go for 5x6, horses do prefer a rectangle to lay down in as when they lay flat they are rectangular however at 3m wide I'd be worried about them getting legs caught or bashing legs when they roll if that makes sense?

My walk outs are 5x4 and all my horses and visiting horses love laying down to sleep in them.

3. Warren

Warren New Member

I agree with LB, I think 5m x 6m would be best as 3m is pretty narrow for a horse yard. My walkouts are 6m x 4m coming off stables which are 4m x 4m. I would've loved to have everything 5m wide but the budget wouldn't allow it!

4. xyzabc

xyzabc New Member

Thank you very much. We have jerry rigged 2 long pens very roughly and yes lying down is not a real possibility. I'm asking because I only have a small spot in which to locate them and if I put gates along the long side they'll wear tracks downhill and start erosion. So still thinking!

5. xyzabc

xyzabc New Member

We have used electric tape in the trial and will probably use the wider tape when we finalise it. I do worry about legs getting caught and the wide tape not only gets past that but also can be tensioned up.

6. Warren

Warren New Member

I'm not a fan of using electric fencing in small yards at all. If a horse gets zapped just turning around and then tries to run it has nowhere to go. My yards are sturdy railings and they're too high for the horses to put their heads over so they simply can't lean on them.

7. xyzabc

xyzabc New Member

Yes Warren, I would like something more sturdy.

I'm aiming for solid rails with rubber under (to prevent injury if they get cast) but until that happens I'm going to rejig the tape to give them each a square pen about 6m x 6m after the cyclone has passed. (For the next 24 hours or so they have the run of a paddock with shelter but access to high ground).

They are both good with tape and have been happy and content the last 2 nights in narrow electric pens so I am satisfied I can work up to what is best. Trying to find someone local who can build a 2 bay open front shelter and then fence off that later.

Thanks for advices!