Feeding weanling

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Chunkiebum, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Chunkiebum

Chunkiebum New Member

Hi just wonder what people a currently feeding there QH babies? I want a good feed with all they need without adding lots of bits

2. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Mitavite breeda, hygain growtorque or Prydes biomare.

3. Good quality oaten hay, a dipper of soaked lupins twice a day, min salt lick, equillibrium. We don't feed processed feed at all to our horses.

4. JRP

JRP New Member

Bio Mare all my QH are on it, have been since it came to WA never looked back has every thing they need in it i add Wheaten chaff, Lucern and Oaten Hay :)

5. Meischa

Meischa New Member

Whatever you decide on ensure you don't over-feed and have your baby too heavy.

I have a mare now 10 years old with degenerative joint disease (she's a QH). Apart from a little bit of Breed-N-Grow when she was weaned she's only ever had hay, and generally just grass hay or grassy Lucerne. If they're good doers it's very hard to keep weight off them!

6. Thatest

Thatest New Member

Baileys stud balancer is very good for good doing weanlings, we use youngstock pellets as ours are Tb's and they do well on this, but they would probably be too much for denver if he is a big boy

7. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

As in Baileys horse feeds of the UK???

8. Karen Jet

Karen Jet New Member

YEP, Bio Mare **)

9. Chunkiebum

Chunkiebum New Member

Thank you all for your help! So many good ideas to contemplate for my baby.
    I should add that he will be on extremely poor pasture - living in the pilbara.
    What are your thoughts on AV pellets and Johnson mare and foal?

10. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Not a QH but my Welsh D x weanling gets Mitavite Breeda, Lucerne Chaff, Rosehips & adlib Hay. :)