Feeding sulpur powder

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by CuttingQH, Jan 16, 2012.

1. CuttingQH

CuttingQH New Member

With the humid weather we are having there seems to be an increase of kangaroo ticks in the Bullsbrook area, which I have found a few on my horses. I have been told you can feed sulpher powder which should act as a deterant to ticks attaching themselves to suck blood. Does anyone have knowledge of this and how much can you feed safely. Many Thanks:confused

2. raindear

raindear Well-known Member

Would be interested in this as well, we have had a few more ticks this year on dogs and horses so just wondering if its because of the wetter weather or something else!?

3. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

For the horses, a tablespoon per day, and you should see results within six weeks (or less). Reduce this amount for small pony's.

Reduce the amount for dogs, depending on their size. Probally best to get the Pat Coleby small animals book to determine the rate to add to feed.

I would also sprinkle the sulphur around their bedding and under their beds (dogs), and if there are any sandy areas that they like to dig and lie in, sprinkle some sulphur in there also. It should knock the ticks and fleas back for sure.

4. katie16

katie16 New Member

I have also heard of feeding garlic and apple cidar vingar to keep off ticks? As well as wiping the horse with apple ciar vingar (down the topline).
    But i havent heard of sulphur before.

5. Rosinante

Rosinante Active Member

I've tried the sulphur and it didn't make one iota of difference. :(
    Garlic is toxic to horses.
    I have used diatomaceous earth with success - you should be able to get it from your stock feed place. You sprinkle it over the horse. When I was rugging the pony I sprinkled the powder inside the rug and it seemed to help a lot. :))

6. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Yellow sulphur is not available to the horse as it is an inorganic form of S. #(

MSM (organic form of S) is the best utilised form of Sulphur if you want to feed it.:)*

7. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

Wait..... As in what i feed for arthritis???

Handy!

8. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

I fed sulphur to my horses before and saw no result.

But I live in the tropics where the bities are fairly determined!

9. Pintaloosa

Pintaloosa Well-known Member

Yes, my trimmer told me that the yellow sulphur cannot be absorbed by horses as it's not organic. She advised me to try MSM and it worked a treat :) That was for Queensland Itch.