Feeding silverbeet to horse????

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Ziggy the Piggy, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

I have never tryed to give my horses silverbeet, but wondered if there would be some benefit to it. As it's high in iron, would that be of benefit?

I know my birds love a few leaves, and the ducks and chook inhale the stuff, so why not horses.....I will hold off until I get some feed back. Very interested to know if anyone has had good or bad experiences.

We have a garden full of the stuff, and theres only so much you can eat, and palm off onto others (without appering too rude)

I'd love your feed back.:)

2. Boo's Eclipse

Boo's Eclipse Well-known Member

Hi Ziggy, I know that when we let our bunch into the house yard to 'mow' for us, 2 of them head straight for the vege patch & crane there necks over to get the silverbeet. They LOVE the stuff. But the others won't touch it. It has, as yet, done no harm.
    The neighbours feed there piles of it too the cattle, but cows digest differently to horses.
    Will be following this thread to see if anyone has any actual info on feeding it to horses as we too have tonnes of the stuff!! I have been adding it to the dogs feed (which i cook up myself)

3. Ziggy the Piggy

Hmmmm....that's interesting Boo.**)

Come on guys...someone else out there must have had some experience with silverbeet and horses????

4. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Mmmm I wonder about that too. My horse is a walking dustbin, will eat anything. He loves celery, turnips so will probably enjoy munching on silverbeet to lol.

5. petamc

petamc Well-known Member

while everyones thinking...................what about brussel sprouts???

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I grow silverbeet for our goats - they love it!
    And it is easy fresh greens for them.

Honestly I had never thought about giving to the ponies....

With regard to Brussell Sprouts - arent those things EXTINCT??

they orta be - yerk!

7. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Ummm last thing I will feed Frits lol, he has a bad enough wind problem as it is*#)*#)

I like to think, and I know that it is not always the case, that horses instinctively know what is good for them and what is not and will eat accordingly. I have fed Frits lettuce before with out problems.

8. Ziggy the Piggy

Normal lettuce seems to be okay, but I used to work for a lettuce farm (?? go figure??) and when I fed Radicio (Spelling?) I found the horses got really hot and spicy to ride for a day or two.

9. Boo's Eclipse

Hmmm how interesting, must admit, I have never fed mine lettuce & nor do they eat it outta the vege patch, but like I said two of mine LURVE the silverbeet!

I agree Deschur, they won't eat it, if they know it's not good for them, like bracken fern or white sap weeds, they don't go near them in the paddocks, although they love thistles... go figure!!

10. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

I think the only thing out of my veggie garden that I wouldn't try on the horses would be rhubarb leaves, as they are toxic. I know avocado leaves are toxic to horses too. I'm pretty sure chard or silverbeet will be absolutely fine for them. Beats having to eat the stuff yourself too - I've got dozens of plants of it!!

I used to watch horses in Carnarvon eating bananas entire, seemed to love them and have a friend who fed his horses occasional handfulls of apricot leaves, even though I was under the impression they shouldn't eat stonefruit leaves. His horses didn't seem to suffer for the occasional snack though.

11. milo

milo New Member

silverbeet

The green part of the leaf is full of antioxidants but the white stem has Oxalic acid which is quite toxic to humans in large amounts. Maybe for horses too. :)*

12. Boo's Eclipse

Hahaha that reminded me, when I was still living at home my parents used to let some of the horses into the yards surrounding our house where all the fruit tree's grew, for weeks the stonefruit (peaches, apricots, plums etc) were disappearing off the tree's just before it was ready to be picked, & we kept finding the seeds on the ground. Dad thought it was possums, or kangaroo's to start with, but after many traps set & process' of elimination we worked out it was the horses, they were picking the fruit (still partly green) & eating/sucking it off the seeds, then spitting the seeds out!!!!! We couldn't believe it! They stripped bare over 60 tree's within the space of a few weeks & they never even had so much as a slight belly ache!!:confused:
    Needless to say, dad chose to mow the area rather than let the horses eat it down when ever the tree's were fruiting from then on....

Oh avocado's are poisonous to horses period! The leaves, skin, flesh, seed everything! Kept them well away from your beloved gee gee's. I have seen a horse suffer badly after eating crusts of it's owners avocado sandwhich. Not pleasant!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  13. meg289

meg289 New Member

Feeding silverbeet to horses and ponies

Hello there, I have feed the stalks to my horse and she was particular about which ones she ate, whereas my pony gobbled them down. I also fined they love the base of the celery.

meg289

14. PlumpRump

PlumpRump New Member

The oxalic acid would be my concern. It can cause kidney/urinary issues but can be reduced by crushing or cooking. It can also lead to bloat in some animals. A little here and there is unlikely to cause problems, but I wouldn't feed it in bulk amounts to anything.