Feeding Rosehip

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by ALL4QHS, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ALL4QHS

ALL4QHS New Member

Does anyone feed this, and how and what quantity do you feed. Where can you buy it from and cost. What are the benifits of feeding this and does it effect a horse with regards to being ridden, as can it make a nice quite horse hot. Will it have any effect on the colour of the coat.
    Thanks

2. RebeccaGreen

RebeccaGreen New Member

I have always fed my horses Rosehip, The proper usage is to assit horses that tie up when they stress it releaves this, it helps the horses with there electrolights it helps keep everything in balance..

I swear by this stuff everyhorse i have on it just thrives, there coats are dapply and shiny and it assists with everything.

Some people make it as tea but i just through a tablespoon in there dinners at night, but i use alot of malloses to water there feeds down so i don't need to make the tea.

I buy mine from the stockfeeds i pay $23 per kilo..

3. Big Bay Booga

Big Bay Booga Well-known Member

I have been feeding Rosehip tea to the BBB for nearly 6 years. I used to buy the RH and Hibiscus teabags fron the supermarket and rip them open into a bigger container:p

Now I buy it from over east through Country Park Animal Herbs. I just had 5kgs posted to Albany and it cost me $90 all up. I feed 2 tablespoons a night as a tea made up in an old thermos.

Absolutley swear by it. BBB is prone to tying up, has bad kidneys and bad feet and he has thrived on it.

4. Talullah

Talullah Well-known Member

I feed rosehip to my 29 year old standardbred, still being ridden regularly, it helps to flush out his kidneys. He was getting swelling in his hind fetlocks due to fluid in the kidneys and my bowen therapist recommended it to me, so I started feeding it to him about 6months ago. The swelling has gone down and he is thriving in it, his coat is looking immaculate and it has made no difference to his temperament.

I usually feed about 1 tablespoon a day with his evening meal.

5. Sweet Euphoria

Sweet Euphoria Well-known Member

I fed it to my old horse for years and now my new horse :) Its also very high in vitamin C, so is great for warding off colds. And is high in biotin so may assist in strengthening hooves and mane.
    I drink it myself and its quite a fruity tea, i think horses love the taste!!! i feed 20g, made into a tea:)*

6. Satorii Lodge

Satorii Lodge Well-known Member

is sposed to be good for promoting wound healing as well

7. holistichorse

holistichorse Well-known Member

Rosehips are very high in vitamins, minerals such as vitamins C, A, B1, B2, B3 and K, bioflavonoids (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory), carotenoids, tannins, calcium, magnesium, silica, phosphorous and copper.
    They are very good to feed just as a daily supplement (Vit C is a natural antihistamine) but are also especially good for horses recuperating from illness or injury as they help to restore the immune system and aid tissue repair. Rosehips can also help alleviate gastric inflammation and diarrhoea, and are beneficial for healthy hoof growth!!!

Recommended Dose is 1-2 tablespoons per day (always start small & build up) and I currently have it for sale at $20/kg **)

8. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

holistichorse,
    is rosehip good for arthritis? currently have my horse on celery seed & acv will the rosehip negate anything,& do i need to up the dose?

9. holistichorse

Hi Beagle, what doses are you already feeding?
    Rosehips are just a good general tonic, so they are beneficial for arthritis, but not specific to this condition. It does have an anti-inflammatory action, although not as strong as something like Devils Claw or White Willow Bark.

10. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

holistichorse,
    I'm feeding approx 1/4 cup celery seeds & a decent splash of acv to feeds daily - estimate probably half cup acv.Both mine certainly like it ok.Would you recommend either Devils Claw or White Willow Bark over celery seeds for antiinflamm properties?
    Can I purchase stuff from you online - I note your web page.

11. holistichorse

Hi beagle, I would recommend feeding either White Willow Bark or Devils Claw over Celery Seeds for anti-inflammatory actions. Feel free to email me or PM me if you would like to order some :)*

12. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

You prob already heard this but here i go *gulp*

High in Vit C
    Good when used in Autum&Winter as it boost the immune system
    Rosehips Stimulates and strengthens immunes system,helping the horse cope with stress.
    Rosehips Has Astringent action so the tea can be used to adress gut disturbance like diarrhoea and excess mucous in the respirarty tract.
    Good secondary Herb to use when horse is suffering Mild infection
    It also adress Poor Hoof And Coat Condition
    Feed At Rate Of
    Infusion-1 cup in Feed or use the granules by giving 1 tablespoon twice a day

Hope This Helps:))