Feeding rice to horses?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Ritadee, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Ritadee

Ritadee New Member

Hi does anyone feed rice to there horses?, and if so how much and is it parboiled or fully cooked or raw? Also what are the benifits? I've heard it's great for bulking the horse up without making them hot, but I don't know if this is true. All advice appreciated**)
    cheers and thanks in advance:D:))

2. tammy07

tammy07 Well-known Member

hey
    i feed par boiled rice and i soak it in boiling water in the morning for night feeds

my tb gets 3 cups unsoaked rice everyday that as well as lupins hes bulked up a hell of a lot and he hasnt been hotted up with the feed

hope that helps alittle bit

3. Ritadee

Ritadee New Member

Hi Tammy, @)
    It helps a lot thanks.:D**)

4. Wendycam1

Wendycam1 Well-known Member

My boy used to get about 3 cups per day. He looked fantastic and it didn't heat him up at all, everything else does. We used par-boiled and microwaved it before their feedtime.

5. Taylorc

Taylorc Guest

Hi Ritadee @)

I fed it years ago, by soaking it in boiling water (AM) then feeding (PM).
    But then learnt that lupins, free access to hay and products such as Equijewel & Coprice, produced better results for weight gain. :)

6. Boo's Eclipse

Boo's Eclipse Well-known Member

I too used to feed it, as everyone else said, soaked in the AM & fed in the PM, but as Taylorc said, I found that other products worked better in the long run.

But if it works for you then go for it!

7. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

I use parboiled rice also and like the others i simply soak it in boiling water until it's soft and add it to the feed. I love it as it adds bulk without the fizz. Perfect for tbs.

8. Ritadee

Ritadee New Member

Thanks everyone, I was just thinking of using it as an alternative, you variety and all that, we all get bored eating the same thing. LOL**)

9. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

Hi@) Ritadee, I dont think horses need the variety in their diets that we love and crave. In fact they seem to do better on a constant balanced feeding regeme, which should only be altered if there is a reason to. To spice up my feed buckets I add.......wait for it..........carrots!**) Oh I know, I'm all heart!

Years ago (15) I purchased a lovely gelding that had only been fed on carrots and nothing else. To say he was poorly was an understatement, and so the weight gaining battle was on. He did very well on par-boiled rice, and cooked barley (juice and all), plus all the usuals. After a short time I was able to eke his feed bucket back to just the normal stuff, and he stayed looking fantastic. I've had no more need for it since, however my sister is a firm believer and she could give you all the ins and outs with regard to amounts etc.....Just PM Banjo! I know she wont mind.:)

10. marinochkawe

marinochkawe Guest

It?s really great posts.

11. realalvin

realalvin New Member

Sounds quite weird!!!!!

12. Horsemad101

Horsemad101 New Member

parboiled rice

my horse gets heated up very easily so we have to be cautious. he had no problems on parboiled riced bulked him up in no time. I boiled 1 cup which then swelled to 3 cups. :D