Feeding pumpkin for sand removal

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Troppo, May 26, 2008.

1. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

So how's everyone's horses going on the pumpkin?? It took a couple of "doses " before I saw the sandy poos in (or should that be out?) Toby! Perhaps it takes a couple of goes to actually shift the sand. Glad to report Toby is still doing well. I'm going to reduce his pumpkin to once every 2 weeks and hopefully he'lll stay well.

2. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

I gave my horses their pumpkin on Friday night. Put some of Bobby's manure in a bucket with water (as someone suggested). Had a look the next day and couldnt see any sand. Will try it again (manure in bucket that is) and see if there is any sand. Not sure if this means he doesnt have sand or if he does have sand but it isnt moving :confused: . Bobby is looking really good so will keep up with the pumpkin.

3. smash

smash Well-known Member

i wonder if anyone has thought of WHY THEIR HORSE IS EATING SAND?????
    considering they can seive bute powders out of a feed or anything that they DONT LIKE will be left behing, in a well mixed feed, so it stands that they are eating sand for a reason.
    i wonder what the horses are lacking in nutrition for them to be actively seeking sand????
    mmm might need to start a new thread for my next question LOL

4. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Good point Smash :p , my horses can be real good at sifting out stuff they dont want. I have never seen any of my horses actively/deliberately eating sand, except Reilly when he was 2 weeks old but that is another story. I thought that any sand would have been picked up when they are picking other stuff up off the ground. Being on Gnangara sand, there is so much of the stuff, even on the well grassed areas the sand is just below the surface and doesnt take much to be exposed. I have a heap of ant activity in my grass paddock and they are creating sand dunes and generally being pests.

I have seen your other thread so will do some measures tonight and take up your offer.

5. smash

smash Well-known Member

good on you noelle, look forward to your post LOL
    but interesting enough, there are horses tha live 24/7 in a sand yard for many many months, and yet never get sand colic.
    there are horses that live in luch green pastures, and they get sand colic.
    i dont think a horse mistakenly eats sand, i think they deliberately eat sand.
    now why is the question LOL
    i say because there is an unbalance in there large intestines, but why?
    so lets hope enough people put there feed ration in the other thread, so we can see if there is a common eliment.
    cheers

6. oldtenth

oldtenth Well-known Member

From one of my collectable horse books - reprinted 1954, I have found this info on Pumkins, in short the pumkin is used as a relish for horses. Contains only about 10.4 per cent dry matter if entire, with seeds/inside tissued remove 7.3 per cent and the feed value is therefore very low. Should be fed with a grain and protein supplement. Cooking pumkins many not be beneficial and feeding seeds alone can cause indigestion on account of high fat content.

7. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

I must disagree with you Smash. Toby was a real b££££r for getting sand colic when he was on a grassed paddock. Admittedly he is a paddock vacuum and the grass was as short as it could possibly be. His hard feed has remained the same and I have now moved him to a sand paddock with no grass. Obviously he now gets no grass but plenty of hay which is fed to him off the sandy ground. He has never colicked since moving him and he was regularly colicking every 2-4 weeks before that. Since his hard feed has remained the same I can only conclude that he was taking in the sand from the short grass.
    I believe that as the paddock was reticulated the wet sand grains stuck to the grass and so he couldn't remove them.

I have seen horses sift out bute etc from feeds but these were dry feeds. Surely they cannot do this if the feeds ar dampened - which I always do.

8. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Hi snoopydoo

I always wet down Spring's feed but sometimes when I check the feedbin in the morning I can see white powder (equimin) in the bottom. Maybe she doesnt eat it all in one go; when she goes back the feed has dried and consequently the powder separates easily???

Maybe the key words are "dont like". Horses can sift out the stuff they dont like. Maybe they dont worry about the sand; they dont care if they eat it??? Just a thought ..... :p

9. Happypaint

Happypaint Well-known Member

Just wondering how everyone's horses have gone since using the pumpkin and are you still giving it regularly? :)*

10. Maddog 29

Maddog 29 Well-known Member

I'm scared I'm going to jinx myself by writing this, but we have been feeding pumpkin once a week since June and touch wood none of ours have come down with colic.

Love to hear how others are going**)

11. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Hi Happypaint & Maddog

I was feeding ours regularly but they have gone out for a holiday in a big paddock down south for a few weeks. I am planning to keep the pumpkin in their diet when they get back.

Wonder how many others are doing it?

12. Happypaint

Happypaint Well-known Member

Hee Hee :D I have been to scared to say anything also in case I jinx it but it has been all good here also. Still giving pumpkin weekly and they are still loving it :p

13. lhuband

lhuband Guest

hello hello
    no skin
    NO SEEDS! its like speed for horses
    use jap Pumpkin (the green one)
    cook and mash then add to feed.. i have to add a little molasses as Rio wont eat it...
    she wont eat Phsilian (spelling) husks either...
    3kg for about 500kg horse..

14. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

I don't want to jinx myself either... but I'd say the peak of the sand colic season has passed, for now.

BTW never fed pumpkin, just plenty of hay, and no colic with my horse.

15. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Ditto. I have a 10 yr old colic prone mare and have had her since she was 2. She has always been colic prone (yes sand) she only seems to need to look at sand and she is down. The ONLY thing (I have tried them all as has my vet) that guarantees she is fine is hay hay and more hay! Goodluck with your pumkin :D

16. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

i feed pumpkin to my pony, she's 550kg and i boil half to 3/4 of a pumpkin skin and seeds drain then blend it up, add a cup of vege oil and 3tbs of salt(for the taste)...she eats it every time and when my friend checks for sand in her gut she never has much dispite being in a sandy paddock. i feed this too her about once a fortnight and it costs on Ave $3 each time so about $80 a year and she never gets colic.

Just personal add on: the expense of drenching (vet etc) as well as what i've been told by a friend (who is a vet) about drenching removeing so much sand at once being bad for the horse.

Agree with Pcylium husk too

17. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Active Member

A 550kg pony! OMG! :)