Feeding pumpkin for sand removal

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Troppo, May 26, 2008.

1. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Well my two have had one cooked and mashed butternut each tonight in their feed so will watch with interest :D . They both seemed to be enjoying their dinner so will have a look tomorrow to make sure they have cleaned it all up.

2. atlast

atlast New Member

Wondering how these horses that have had the pumpkin in the last few days are going. Any colic, or sand in the manure?

3. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

I had a look my horses' manure and couldnt see any sand, although I guess it may not be obvious:confused: . Will have another look tonight. I think someone said earlier it took 2 or so days to come through. Anyway, no signs of colic (touch wood). Bobby must have enjoyed his because he cleaned everything up, peel, seeds and all :D . Spring left a couple of bits of peel.

Did someone say they were feeding pumpkin weekly? If so, I think I will do the same. It will be their Sunday night treat :D .

I wonder if I should still give them the honey remedy as well? I was going to give it to them last weekend but got sidetracked with the pumpkin.

4. Cass25

Cass25 Active Member

very interesting topic after another dose of colic last night the 5th time in 4 weeks i will try pumpkin on my mini colt i am getting desperate at this rate i will own the vet surgery i started physillium husks 3 weeks ago and that obviously hasn't worked
    i read some one fed a cupful of pumpkin how much would you feed a mini he weighs about 120 kilo any suggestions will be gratefully recieved am getting desperate now*#)

5. Happypaint

Happypaint Well-known Member

I give my two (a 15hh 8yr old & a nearly 15hh 20 month old) about 500gms of mashed pumpkin weekly and have seen the results of it moving the sand. This was the recommendation that was given to me by a horseman who has been using it on all his horses for over 25yrs for regular maintenance for sand removal.

You will see in my previous posts that I did have to get both of my girls drenched as well when I started using the pumpkin (the pumpkin started the movement of the sand and they must have had a lot of sand inside!) as they were passing large amounts of sand which irritated their gut to start with. Once their gut had been "cleared" so to speak, the weekly pumpkin IMO has helped to keep pushing through what sand they may pick up. I am also feeding hay+++. I usually give the Pumpkin on a Monday night and then follow up with a bran mash with 500ml of parafin every one to two weeks just to be sure(I didn't give the mash initially but have done so over the last couple of weeks so it was definitely the pumpkin that started the movement of the sand). I have also started adding the calcium supplement to their feeds as has been recomended to me. All this seems to be keeping us on top of the sand problem............their coats are looking awesome from the pumpkin too :)

I gave pumpkin to them last night but will try giving them cooked mashed carrots instead for the next few weeks to see if this happens to do the same job...........will keep you informed on how it goes **)

Not sure how much to give a mini but maybe only a cup of mashed pumpkin would be a good start to see how he goes. If you make it fairly runny it mixes in with the chaff and is easy for them to eat. :p Let us know how it goes if you end up deciding to try it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  6. smash

smash Well-known Member

happypaint,
    i might not agree with you on the pumpkin 100% but i would like to thank you on explaining HOW and WHY and the SEQUENCE that you use it with.
    you dont "claim" that it is the pumpkin, but you have notice this is what is happening when you use pumpkin AFTER a drenching.
    i applaud you on your common sense and your ability on thinking things through, and explain the combination that you have found that moves the sand in your horses.
    i wish you and your horses all the best, and hope they become sand free.
    good luck happypaint, heres hoping more will think a little more before "proclaiming" a miricle LOL
    give your babies a extra cuddle from auntie smash LOL

7. Cass25

Cass25 Active Member

thanks for that happypaint
    my colt was drenched yesterday and tonight i gave him 2 tablespoons heaped and will see how he goes will do it again on saturday 2 tablespoons to introduce it slowly will keep on with physillium husks two nights once a fortnight and see if we can get over this sand problem
    he gobbled his tea so obviously he liked the taste i made it nice and runny
    i have given it to our filly as well she doesn't seem to go down as often as him
    i won't try bran mash and parrafin yet as would like to know which one helps do changes one at a time so we know out comes once more thankyou for your advice on what has worked for you :)*

8. Happypaint

I can't tell you how good it has been to chat with you all about using the pumpkin for helping move sand. It has been a stressful last couple of months and has been very much a trial and error thing and I guess will continue to be but I think through using a combination of things we may now be on top of the sand problems. Hearing what others have to say and their experiences is fantastic and I hope hearing about my experience is helping others too. :)

I checked my girl's manure today (gave them pumpkin last night) and I could see small amounts of sand through it but certainly not the clumps of sand that I was seeing a couple of weeks ago. Maybe this is because their pasture is a little more established now or maybe because of the "concoction" we have been giving or probably due to both. I do definitely think the pumpkin has helped but am keen to hear results from others.

Aunty Smash........gave them a big hug from you when I tucked them in for the night :p

Cass25..........hope all goes well for you and please keep us up to date with how you go. Have my fingers & toes crossed for you.

Be good to hear how anyone else is coping or their ideas on it too.

9. atlast

atlast New Member

I gave my horse pumpkin today, she ate it all up in her feed after being suspicious for a start and then she really liked the taste. Wondering if there has been any reactions good or bad from those that have fed the pumpkin recently.

10. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

I too have read this thread with interest**) , but this cracked me up:p !

Its funny when you own horses, how looking at poo is interesting! LOL:D

Thanks for the great discussion though everyone!

11. Happypaint

I swear my neighbours, who are non-horsey, think I am completely bonkers when they see me wondering around our horses' night yard every morning checking the poos with intense interest *#) :p

12. atlast

atlast New Member

My horse has definitely passed a fair bit of sand in the 24 hours following the mashed pumpkin. I only gave 2- 3 cups. No bad reactions. Think I will make it a weekly ritual.

13. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

Glad to hear it's worked for you atlast! It works great for my boy.:)

14. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

after first checking wif my vet, i mixed 2litres of orange juice into my horses feed. i know horses have no requirement for vitamin c, but the vet said it wont do any harm, and my horse seemed to enjoy the taste. in fact my last horse loved citrus. my standy mare could strip a lemon or grapefuit tree in a day!!! and it never made her sick. anyways, after the oj, my boy had a small amount of sand in his poo the next day. i wasnt expecting a large amount anyways coz he gets a hard feed everyday and the only sand in his paddock is his roll hole, the rest is all well grassed.
    the friend i mentioned earlier in the thread that uses oj, is also the man i got my boy from, so red has had oj before and is obviously used to the taste, but i think he genuinely enjoys it too.
    ill try the pumpkin next week and see if theres a big difference between that an the oj**)

15. atlast

atlast New Member

That will be interesting to see the difference with the orange juice and the pumpkin. I will be using the pumpkin every week and building up the quantity. I found that 500gm cooked pumpkin wasn't very much, no where near a whole pumpkin, but some people are putting in whole pumpkins in the feed. Is there any opinion/advice on the quantity. Have some people gradually built it up and found a difference in the reaction and/or sand.

16. Dudette

Dudette New Member

After commenting earlier in this discussion it reminded me I was going to cook up some pumpkin for the "boys" because they were tucked up in the gut and wouldn't put on weight. Teeth etc all done recently. One's poos were a bit smelly too. They got a cup of pumpkin a night for a week. So Sunday I finally got to take their rugs off and what a change, they certainly have picked up and I needed sunnies they were so shiney. They also seem livelier (wonder if that's a good thing :confused: ). So I cooked another for this week, and Friday they get a round bale. Thanks for the laughs about being obsessed at looking at your horse's poo. Might be easier to put it in a bucket with some water, swish it around and pour off the floaters, the sand will be on the bottom.:D

17. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

My two got another dose of pumpkin last night. Will have to change it to Thursday or Friday nights. It is getting too dark at night to check their manure (people/neighbours will be starting to think I have a fixation :p ). Its dark when I leave in the morning and dark when I get home. Pity cant have more daylight during the cooler months.

By the way, Bobby had cleaned out his feed bin totally so must be enjoying it.

18. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Well I am reporting back after feeding my two horses pumpkin over a week ago. Haven't noticed much change with the mare. But for a long time my gelding has had terribly sloppy poo's and for the last few days they have been more firm than I have evr seen them. Nothing has really changed in his diet over the last few weeks.

I must say I haven't really done a lot of scoping in the paddock and comparing poo so I don't know how much we can go off this - but I know this time last year his poo's resembled mud and after having a bit of an investigation 2 days ago, I can't see any sand in his poo. Unfortunately I didn't check regularly after feeding the pumpkin *slaps myself on hand - naughty :D *

Anyone else got anything to report?

19. tsararab

tsararab Active Member

yep i do same lee i use the pumkin all of it i also use un clipped oats as the little hairy bits on the end help move the sand around old timer told me that and it works, but if you dont feed oats pumkin just as good

20. atlast

atlast New Member

It's interesting about the runny poos Troppo. When I was trying to find anything on the net about using pumpkin for horses and sand removal I found a few recommendations for pumpkin for cats and dogs with runny poos!
    I will be feeding pumpkin to my horse again on Friday.