Feeding pumpkin for sand removal

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Troppo, May 26, 2008.

1. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any experience feeding pumpkin for removing sand from the gut?

Does it work?
    How do you prepare and feed it?

2. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Yea I would think so but are you supposed to add the skin?? and how much do I feed?

I used to feed psyllium monthly all last year but my horses both came down with a bad bout of colic at the onset of the first lot of rain. So I thought I might give the pumpkin a go. Woolies just had pumpkins on special and I bought a heap so its either soup or to the horses.

3. madison

madison Well-known Member

I used to feed it years ago to a 500kg Thoroughbred. The bushy who recommended said to feed the whole pumpkin including the seeds. Dry roast it in the oven then mash. His suggestion was 1kg for each 100kg of horse.

4. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

5kg of pumpkin to aid in sand removal??
    Maybe try ad lib hay...after all, it's actually been proven to work.

5. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Mmmmm ... ditto **) .

Also, if you are in a sandy area or have a horse prone to colic, a yearly drenching is helpful. If I have a horse who is on pasture 24/7 with no hand feeding at all I usually drench twice yearly, once yearly if feeding ad lib hay.

Five kilos of pumpkin in one hit could cause alot of digestive disturbance :eek: yikes. If you didn't have a colicky horse before, I reckon you would definitely have one after five kilos of pumpkin.

My advice is keep it for the soup ....... :) ;) .

6. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Try ad lib hay and drenching. Pumpkin soup is yummy, but no good for your horses tummy lol. ;) :))

7. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

ive been told that orange juice works well. drenching with oj instead of oil or mix into the horses feed. i know a guy that does it and he says it works well for his horses. never tried it myself tho.

8. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

I use pumpkin regularly as a preventative for a very colicky pony. He went down with colic regularly every 2 weeks on a fri evening!!! He was drenched by the vet twice in 4 months and he syill kept getting it. I started onthe psyllium and again he kept getting (thankfully) mild belly ache. On top of the psyllium I started on pumpkin and boy - the amount of sand he passed - his poos were 50/60% sand after the pumpkin!! I feed him a whole pumpkin - seeds skin stalk and all boiled, with a touch of water and wizzed through the food processor, once a week now and (touch wood) he's had no problems since, even through the last surge of grass growth. I reccommend it.

9. atlast

atlast New Member

I have recently been told about feeding mashed pumpkin - one pumpkin in a feed to remove sand. My horse has had a couple of colics in the last few months and I have been putting oil in her feed from time to time to try and push through the sand. I have seen clumps of sand in her manure. However, I understand that the oil may not pick up any sand that is impacted or sitting at the bottom of the gut as it is too hard. The advice is that the pumpkin will break up the sand and it can move through. I would like to try this as if it can't do any harm it would be worth a try, however I would hate to give her colic by adding this to her feed.

10. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

interesting Thanks snoopydoo **)

Cheers
    Lee

11. smash

smash Well-known Member

it would be VERY interesting in HOW pumpkins can remove sand.
    it wouldnt be that the horse is lacking iron in his diet, and is trying get it from the soil ????
    and once you start feeding a iron supliment (pumpkin) that he no longer needs to search for this supliment from the soil ???
    hay has been PROVEN many times that it is the best sand removal aide.
    i hope someone is able to inform me how pumpkin removes sand.
    cheers

12. atlast

atlast New Member

Pumpkin is very high in fibre and is recommended for constipation in people and other animals.

13. Happypaint

Happypaint Well-known Member

I can vouch for the pumpkin working with my two. Give them about 500gm in their usual night feed once a week and the next morning you can see the clumps of sand in their manure. I tried the psyllium husk but it didn't work for our girls. They get fed heaps of hay also.

14. smash

smash Well-known Member

interesting atlast, i wonder how much pumpkin a human would have to eat before it became a diuretic ??
    as i think a horse would need more than 500gms.
    interesting concept.
    cheers

15. atlast

atlast New Member

Do you boil the pumpkin with skin and seeds. Did your horses eat it OK in their feeds, and did they have any problems with a belly ache after?

16. Happypaint

Yep boil the pumpkin with seeds and skin, mash it and put it in their normal night feed. They eat it happily and keep going back to lick their feed bins. I found that they had a tummy ache after they had it twice but it was about 4 days later. Ended up getting the vet out and drenching them just to be sure and he said that the pumpkin would have started moving the sand and the movement of the sand was what made them collicky. My two must have had a lot of sand despite getting heaps of hay. I have been told by several horsemen that they feed pumpkin to improve a horse's coat colour as well as aiding in sand removal and have done so for years without any problems.

17. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

What type of pumpkin, does it matter, butternut, jap, or ironbark?

18. Happypaint

I don't think it matters. I was giving Jap to start with but giving butternut lately.

19. atlast

atlast New Member

That's very interesting Happypaint. Sounds like the pumpkin moved the sand. Did the vet have any comments about using pumpkin?

20. Happypaint

He didn't have a lot to say about it just that it obviously got the sand moving. He didn't think that the pumpkin itself would have given our filly colic, especially the small amount that we gave each time, more that the movement of the sand was uncomfortable for her. He mainly advised the need for feeding lots of hay (as all vets do) which we do anyway. We just have those wonderful sandy paddocks with all the new grass shoots and I would rather be doing something to try and help shift the sand than not doing anything at all.