Feeding Preggy mares

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Sallighted, Feb 19, 2011.

1. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

Some of our mares

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27yo retired broodmare
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

OMG That foal is the size of most yearlings!!!*#)

and davrac at least you have pasture! lucky you!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  3. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

4. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Yep Lena's mare's were all in top condition. The hay they are putting through the chaff cutter is great quality. Davrac, I love your girls they are also in great condition. The retired broody, she looks great!!

5. He sure is ClubIgnite!
    Thank God he is on lupins full of growth retardend otherwise he would be 15hh by now that's for sure!? you should see his bone and the size of his feet!:)*

He will be a showjumper one day, this boy can jump:p.
    Brian will have to built an Alcatraz to wean him safely.:D Can't risk him jumping out of everything any more!*#)

Davrac, the old girl is in awesome shape! So as the rest of your mares. Good job!

GTD:) We had a great time, thanks for coming over!:)*
    Thanks for nice words, Smashio!:D

6. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

Where are pics of the BOYS????????? LOL LOL :p

7. Go the Distance

Hey HCF Lena has them in a thread in breeding section. Arnold's muscles did not fail to impress!!

Thanks Lena we had the best day. You and Brian made us feel so welcome. My OH really learnt a lot about QH's today with seeing your stock.

I am changing my feed over to simple and easy after today with all my stock.

8. horsescomefirst

haha i thought you were all for the pegasus range and not changing at all??? lol :p **)

gonna go check out the boys

9. Go the Distance

Yeah I know HCF you can't say simple isn't best when you have 32 horses all looking at you, in immaculate condition and they are standing in the middle of a desert!!

10. horsescomefirst

hehe yes, i use soaked lupins on all mine too, but add oats too.

i must admit tho,i thought qh were only cattle/rodeo horses etc as iv never had anything to do with them but surprised to see they are using them for ressage and showjumping and basically everything!!

sounds like the perfect all-round breed!!

i will hopefully have a x qh at end of year and cant wait...

11. pi

Pictures speak more than a thousand words. Our breeding stock is in a very good condition considering the limited feed amounts due to drought.
    It works for us and our hardy horses, it might not work for TBs, but mind you our old 23 yo with a huge filly foal at foot is in awesome condition on the same intake. We don't feed her any special goodies.
    What would it prove, smash?:))) I like your sig by the way, it pretty sure sums it all up.:)

12. PPH

PPH Guest

One of the biggest problems I see with feeding grains is that, for the avarage horse person, the actual nutrient and mineral levels will vary bag to bag, property to property and even from which part of a paddock it it harvested from, whereas processed and pelleted feeds are a known quantity and quality in each bag. It can also be more conveniant and less labour intensive to feed out.eg no soaking/boiling .

Me myself, I too feed soaked lupins as part of my feed regime, as they are a more economical and cost effective as a feed scource for a large number of horses. My weanling who is entered in the western classics foal futurity however, is been fed a pelletised feed and lucerne chaff and a small amount of white hay.

Some very valid and intersting points have been raised in this thread.
    The way I see it, if what you are doing works for you and you are happy with the results, stick with it. However that does not mean there is not more than one road to Rome .

HOWEVER, my biggest problem atm is not feeding pelletized or grains, but why my horses are not eating the new seasons hay. Looks great, smells good but they are only picking through it and leaving alot behind where they normaly hoover every scrap. Soaking or putting molasses on it seems to help a little but it's the first time ive had this problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011
  13. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

I agree whole-heartedly - well said.

Maybe, your ponies are too well fed???? Nah, just teasing.;)

I believe it is because it has been such a bad season that the hay never got the starch content it usually does (depending on where it was grown), so is a bit more bitter than normal.

14. ClubIgnite

with this new season hay they arent eating, is it small bales or round rolls?
    And from farm or stockfeeds??

15. Our horses prefer hay cut with the bar of the header instead of mower conditioned hay. :))) They certainly can smell/taste the difference.
    lena

16. PPH

PPH Guest

large round bales. Scourced from hay wholesaler.

17. ClubIgnite

uh oh, i was about to buy some, but think i might have to stick to export..

18. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

I have been "just looking"/drooling at the breeding forum for some years now.
    Lena's foals, mares and stallions are consistently fabulous and healthy.

Feeding cheaply (in the nicer sense of the word) is simply feeding cleverly. :D

19. dezi2095

dezi2095 New Member

Breeda works a treat on one of our pregnant mares but then when we feed it to the other it doesnt have alot of effect regards to fattening.

I would highly recommend Hygain - Balanced. It works a treat on all our horses and they dont need alot of it.

I have never fed our horses Hygain-Prodigy but all the other Hygain foods work a treat.