Feeding Preggy mares

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Sallighted, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Sallighted

Sallighted Well-known Member

Okay have a mare that is about 60 days pregnant.... I have been feeding her stud and grow (coprice) but will have to change as I am now getting feed delivered. My options are mitavite breeda, hygain prodigy and pegasus studmaster... just want the best for my girl, which one would you advise :eek: She is also on 40 acres of pasture, chaff, lucerne, minerals and oaten hay.

2. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Hi :) My sis swears by breeda. All our mares and young stock is on it and all look fantastic :)

It will give you the vitamins and minerals so maybe you can then cut the other minerals unless there is a deficiency and save a few $$$ there.

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Dont go over board with fancy feeding until the last trimester. Thats when the mare really needs the goodies. Complete feeds can make mares too fat in early pregnancy, and you dont want a fat pregnant mare.:}

A concentrate feed like Grotorque or Promita are very useful for preg mares as they provide the necessary protein, minerals and vitamins without the extra calories of cereal grains.:D

Feed to maintain her in good condition, and not fleshy.:)*

4. Sallighted

Sallighted Well-known Member

Thanks for the input guys... Caroline I don't think I have to worry about her getting too fat she is the slim TB type that you have to feed truckload to make her not look like a coat hanger:eek:

5. Don't have any experience with the first 2, but used studmaster a LOT.
    I would put the mare on an oaten hay roll 24/7 and feed her studmaster twice a day, approx 1/4 of a tall white bucket of pellets for each hard feed.
    If you can get your hands on lupins in bulk, they will do the job better and more economically for you. You will get away with soaking a 2 litre icecream container of lupins and feeding it on top of your hay twice a day.
    Mind you I don't know how your average TB mare would handle the feed, our experience is in feeding QHs only, they are notoriously good doers.;)
    We prefer feeding unprocessed grains to our breeding stock thou.

6. whitepantheress

Many of our mares have been TB mares put to warmblood stallions, so fatness has not been an issue. Just adding to the info.

7. RUNNIN4CASH

RUNNIN4CASH New Member

Why do you prefer feeding unprocessed grains to you stock.
    Processed grains micronised or extruded have incresed digestibility and reduced anti nutritional factors esp in corn and protein meals/grains.
    Feed requirement should be mesured by weight not by volume.
    Lupins should not be fed at more than 500g per 100kg body weight,esp if they are being fed in conjunction with a feed that already contains a signifigant amount of protien.

8. Hygain

Hygain New Member

Sallighted,
    No prizes for guessing which one I'd suggest but may I suggest that you refer to the nutrient values of each one so as to ascertain what, on paper at least, is the superior option.

I say this as there will be some who swear by Prodigy, some by Breeda, some by Studmaster and I even reckon there may be those who would sweear black and blue that pony pellets will do the job.

I reckon they are all probably likely to be fairly similar with the Breeda and Prodigy most likely a bit superior to the Studmaster though selenium may be an issue with the Breeda.

All this said Im sure all of them would do the job but you may as well compare the nutrients. Prodigy also contains Bio-Mos, Yea Sacc and Bio Available silicon.

9. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

Don't feed any processed feeds to my pregnant mares, or to any of my horses.

I use two or three different grains, with a good quality mineral supplement, and chaff.

They usually have pasture, but due to the season, they also get meadow hay.

I choose to feed grain and all of my horses, including dry, pregnant and working horses, are in great condition, as are my foals. :))

The pregnant mares get extra in the last trimester and in the first three months of nursing, or in need of an extra boost, but are on a regular diet at other times.

10. RUNNIN4CASH

RUNNIN4CASH New Member

I dont understand why, when the research and data is available showing the benefits, esp in relation to increased feed utilization and reduction of health risks associated with feeding grains in their raw state, do horse owners continue to feed unprocessd grains. The exception being oats and sunflower seeds.

11. whitepantheress

Probably due to the belief in "raw foods" being superior. Particularly for humans. Processed foods are meant to contain less nutritional value and have more "junk" in them, more or less. Also raw foods are supposedly less likely to put weight on I think is an idea out there. I am in no way an expert on raw foods.

In some cases some of this may be true, but some people need food partially broken down if they have digestion problems, and horses are used to ranging on grasses and forage trees over a wide area, not stuck in pasture that does not meet all their nutritional needs and carrying people around, needing bulkier muscles. So they probably need more protein than before and in some cases more energy than grass will give them, thus we have been feeding grains for at least 2000 years, probably more.

Now we have the technology to bag up partially pre-digested grains for horses. Even in earlier times grains were sometimes cooked prior to feeding as a mash.

So processed grains are not new, but fascination with raw foods seems to be a new way of looking at food and as I have not looked at the evidence for raw foods or processed grains I will not say that either option is silly or the best ever, but my gut leans to pre-digestion for grains that have been dried and stored as no mammal can properly digest them as we humans have made them, thus they are not really raw anyway.

Sorry if the length bothers anyone, but I had complex thoughts to share.

12. RUNNIN4CASH

RUNNIN4CASH New Member

Processing of grains via extrusion or micronization has no resemblance to processed junk food where increased amounts of sugars salts fats artificial flavours preservatives are added.
    Some supplements such as equijewel and power, power on formula ranfac 500 will have antioxidants added to increase shelf.

13. whitepantheress

I realise that, but i still think in the back of some peoples heads is "raw/whole foods are better". Probably not as a conscious thought even...

14. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

Both those you mentioned are two of the three grains I use. I chose unprocessed feeds for two reasons: cost/availability, and I am a firm believer that horses evolved over tens of thousands of years to eat unprocessed grains, and we are asking them to evolve over a few years to eat cubes and pellets.

This is my belief, and I do not expect everyone to agree with me.

Each to his own. If anyone wants to feed processed feeds because they believe it is better for their horse, and their horse shows through it's condition and behavior that it is on the best diet for that particular horse, then good on them.

Research and data can be manipulated and used to show anything you want it
    to. Just look at how the same data has been used to show opposite effects of global warming.

The way I feed, works for my horses! So, in my eyes, the proof is in the pudding!

15. Because we grow it on the farm.:)))
    I used to believe that to show prep a horse or keep our breeding stock in good shape we need to feed fancy processed feeds.;)
    After years of playing with feeding pellets, weaner grower, stud master, copra, ffs and canola meals, bran, mill mix etc we came to the conclusion that feeding lupins, it is CHEAPER for us and better for a horse, achieving the same result. Why spend more than you have to';'?
    We keep it very simple: a top quality oaten hay (grown inland) and good quality lupins plus min and supplement. You won't see a ribby horse on our place even when on limited intake in drought condition.
    lena

16. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I think how a horse responds to feed is dependent on the region and the climate.
    Our horses have plenty of improved pasture which I assume provides their roughage needs plus whatever it is they get from seasonal grass varieties.
    Mares are fed once per day with a top quality breeder pellet and a few times a week we throw in 1/3 dipper of oats or grain mix.
    In winter we give out lucerne hay with the pellets.
    There is still pasture in the colder months but the hay just keeps them topped.

People don't spend enough time working out whats in their soils or they don't oversow and improve. The more you put in the ground the more you get out of it and the cheaper your purchased feed bill is.

We've had horses come from other places or from work who will walk away from a nice feed bin full of goodies - they prefer to eat our grass!

17. RUNNIN4CASH

RUNNIN4CASH New Member

Lupins have a variable lysine content making them less suitable as a protein source for youngstock in comparison to soyabean meal.
    Lupins also contain a "growth retardent".
    Lupins combined with oaten hay would contribute to an inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio.

18. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

Yep, and that would be why my two young Arabs; a purebred, and a partbred will mature to over 15.3hh and 16.2hh respectively.

It must be the lupins retarding their growth!!;)

19. hahaha erilyn:)*,
    my poor foals grow huge on lupins as well, scary to imagine what size they would be if I fed them pellets!:D
    Running4cash:D
    do you have a vested interest in promoting processed feeds?:)))

20. Remaani

Remaani Guest

PMSL!!!! :p

I feed grains (oats) & legumes (lupins) & will continue to do so.
    Much kinder on the pocket too & my horses look fantastic!