Feeding older horse

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by PinkPony, Feb 16, 2015.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony New Member

Sorry another post! Getting to the point where we need to move away from hay as it's just not getting chewed properly and I am scared of choke.

In winter it's not too much of a stress as there is grass, but what about during the drier months? How do you keep up with the 1-2% roughage required without feeding hay? Feeds can be organized for twice a day, but ideally would like something adlib to nibble on during the day. Would soaking bigger amounts of something like speedi-beet mixed with chaffs be ok? Or will it go rancid during the warmer months?

2. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

I have 3 senior horses here and they all have trouble chewing hay but they still give it a shot. I do feed them rather large hard feeds twice a day which do not have any chaff as the 31yr old just can't do it.

I use fibressentials, rice bran, zero, copra and balanced which with the amount of water I use turns to a mash, no chewing required.

I have seven in my herd so the oldies don't get a huge amount of time on the hay anyway. Not sure how large amounts of wet feed would go with the heat though. Do you feed hay in small hole hay nets? That works for the two in their 20's plus I feed Rhodes hay so not as coarse to chew.

3. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Our oldie, Bobby, 28 tb, has pretty bad teeth and doesnt eat much hay. I have got him on the following:

2 - 3 scoops of chaff (but probably could get away with not having it)
    3 kilos Gumnuts
    3 - 4 kilos Maxisoy (cant remember the weight exactly, I have an amount I measure out for each day, it would be in accordance with the recommended amount on the packaging)
    1 kilo coolstance copra
    msm
    handful of crushed lupins (once the current bag runs out I wont bother with the lupins anymore)

divided into 2 feeds, am and pm feed.

He is doing the best he has ever done in the past 5 years. He was scouring pretty bad for quite a while, but after finally working out the above formula plus including protexin until he stopped scouring, he is doing really well. His manures are the best ever, which for him is saying something. Bob gets to graze during the night and during the day he is in a big bush paddock with no grass. There is a haynet for one other horse but he doesnt get much out of that.

4. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I was lucky as my old bloke still had all his teeth so he could still eat hay. However it just wasn't enough for him. I fed him maxisoy as it was easy for him to eat and very palatable, it was mixed with chaff and Lucerne. I didn't feed him gumnuts but would recommend it as they are good for the oldies.

5. Warren

Warren New Member

My old boy is still able to chew meadow hay but has trouble with oaten which is usually quite coarse. He needs more than just hay to keep his weight on and he can't eat a large volume of food so I use Hygain Tru Gain to increase his calorie intake without adding bulk. He also gets Hygain Tru Care as his main hard feed plus Hygain Balanced just to make sure he's getting all the necessary nutrients. These are mixed with a little chaff and lucerne. Since I started him on this diet he has looked amazing and is obviously enjoying life.

6. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

Sorry to hijack post, but Elvis's teeth are probably going to be falling out and need to be removed soon. He is an easy keeper and I am wanting to replace his hay with some white chaff and pellets.
    Can you recommend either oaten or wheaten chaff, he is also prone to sand colic so I need something that will keep his guts moving without bringing on founder or weight problems.
    Thanks