Feeding Eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Eoroe, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

OKay - so I have heard all the pro's from the local trainers that swear by them.....

But what else do I need to know about feeding them?

I am aware that they are very high in Vit E, and such n such'es horse was fed eggs for years and it won many races ra ra..........but It concernses me....should we REALLY be feeding horses eggs?

(Can you tell that Equine nturition is a passion of mine? lol:)*)

Once again - thankyou brains trust **)
  2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

dont know about feeding them cooked but if fed raw they can contain botulism.

Have never seen a horse eat one naturally I think I would be inclined to avoid them
  3. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

yeh i have heard the same, that so many ppl have had fantastic 'swear by them' results with horses... however im even concerned bout feeding my horse gelatine or glucosamine... and they are extracts of a raw products (have undergone processing)... i couldnt imagine them eating the whole product, although i have seen horses eat eggs from the chicken coop and even knaw on one of the dogs bones... makes me think they are lacking something. in a perfect world i would avoid feeding ANY animal derived products to my horses... however my guy had a hard racing career and now events... where do you draw the line in the sand? i think its a great question....
  4. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I certainly feel uncomfortable about feeding animal products to a horse as well. As a vegetarian - mentally I tend to encourage the 'its not right' thought process.

BUT - on that note , I do feed gelatine to one horse. I just dont think about it too much - as It just works! lol

Here is an interesting thing - my OH mate used to do Roo shooting, and the horses used to go MAD over the back of his ute trying to lick the blood. They loved it - they would go all goey over it as well.
    I use to get fairly annoyed when he used to park within reach of them......I really wasnt keen on them doing it - even if they wanted to!
    I often think that in some species the line between Omnivore and Herbivore is a bit hazy....
  5. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

mmm horses have canines for a reason. Maybe a long time ago they were primarily meat eaters.

I know the pacing stable that I worked out many years ago used to feed meat meal to them.
  6. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Yes - many in our area feed them meat meal as well. One woman feeds the local dog food to her horse (we have a factory here) - but thats another story....

I just freak out if the OH gives the chooks meat meal.

I like my eggs to be derived from Bugs, grain and grass only...
  7. samm

samm Gold Member

Just be careful feeding eggs to horses who have poor hooves as eggs contain Avidin which knocks out Biotin.
  8. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

yeh im vego too and have the same principle... i only feed the supplement to him cos i know hes at a high risk of getting joint disease...
  9. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

interesting samm **) Cheers!

Avidin? what is this - and does it completely bind the Biotin?

How does it happen? :)
  10. dramaqueen

dramaqueen Well-known Member

We feed our horses eggs every now and again. Usually before a show. It makes the coat shiney. i havent had a problem with their feet.
  11. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Just a note to Jess's post - ours are free-range eggs. Chooks are fed wheat, not the processed stuff.
    Egg-feeding horses goes back as many generations in our family as I can remember. Does anyone remember the old Coles brand egg-shampoo? Used to be the very best shampoo on the market (at the cheapest price), funnily not available anymore.
  12. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Some years back I had an old black percheron mare called Tara, and some free range chooks. My egg count was down (the chooks eggs, not worm eggs) and Tara was looking especially splendid. I was wondering where the chooks had their secret hiding nest, so when I heard one of them cackling away I shot outside to see where she had laid her egg. She was coming out of the stables, where the round hay feeder was, and Tara was beetling in like a rocket, head straight into the hay feeder, and up she comes chomping on the whole egg, shell and all!

After that I locked those chooks up, and surprise surprise, I got an extra ten eggs a day. That Tara sure was supplimenting her diet, and I have a giggle at the way she knew as soon as the chook cackled to head in for the next egg.:)*

Didn't seem to have any ill effect....very shiney coat!

My farrier says he always used to feed an egg a day to his horses, but I've never done it myself (intentionally), mainly because I like to eat them myself.
  13. mochaminx

mochaminx Well-known Member

ha ha ha, I had no idea horses would even eat eggs!! My kelpie dog, given half the chance, will happily steal the eggs out of the coup, carefully crack them open and eat them, but Ive never caught the horses doing it. HOWEVER, I was in the bad books BIG TIME only two nights ago, because my old 30 year old TB mare had escaped onto our back verandah, knocked over a plastic bin we keep all the dogs meaty bites in.... and wolfed the lot down!!!!!!!!! It was a fairly new 15 kg bag of dog biscuits, and she ate the lot. I kept waiting for her to come down with colic the next day but she never did! (she used to steal my hotdogs and hamaburgers at ponyclub many many years ago,, so I guess its no surprise to learn she's not a vegitarian lol)
  14. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

My horse did the same thing with dog biscuits, ended up having to keep them locked away or he'd break in and eat them
  15. Brodie1808

Brodie1808 Active Member

We would feed eggs to our show horses once or twice a week, and crush up the shells as well for the calcium. They loved them and were great for their coats. Never had a problem with them. Always home grown eggs though :)