Feeding crushed linseed

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by jodie, Jan 10, 2012.

1. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

I have read some of the older threads but just wanted to see who at the moment is feeding crushed linseed. I have pruchased some for my horse as i believe it is a good protein source and good for the coat. Have also seen in some past threads that people have said the omega 3s/6s have been good for their horses's joints.

My horse is approx 16.1, 7yo old warmblood. Diet is average paddock pick and 2 x hard feeds consisting 3/4 lucerne chaff, 1/4 oaten chaff, alkapellets, lupins and maxisoy. Suppliment is advanced advantage. Horse is dressage schooling elementary medium, ridden 5 days per week: 1 jump session, 1 trail ride, 3 arena sessions. If anyone is particularly interested I do have weights written down.

Just would like to hear how much everyone is feeding and what changes you have seen in your horses.

If anyone has not liked it then why?

2. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

i feed it... just for coat shine really- works a treat.... love it and will probs always feed it..

3. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

How much do you feed as I am finding different recommended amounts everywhere?

4. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I feed a 250 mL cup full. I buy the whole seeds and grind them fresh myself so they retain the omega 3 oils which are lost in storage once the seed hull is broken open during processing.

5. TJT

TJT New Member

I feed 1/4 cup crushed linseed for all mine ranging from a 13hh Welsh to a 17hh warmblood. In winter I cook whole linseed with whole barley. I cook 1 cup whole linseed with barley, which is divided up between the four. I use the VF Herbal Diet and feed with SFS so they get the omega 3 & 6. **)

Oh if you feed too much lineed it can cause your horse to scour or if horse is scouring dont feed it until tummy has settled. :D

6. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Once you cook the linseed you lose all the beneficial omega 3's as they are destroyed by heat - fresh ground raw linseed has been proven to be the most effective way to retain the nutrients in the seed.

7. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

Ok thanks I had started off 1/2 cup twice a day. So seems about right. Unfortunately I ave to buy pre-crushed from stockyard but after hearing you say that will buy in the smaller volumes so it doesn't sit around as long.

8. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Jodie, if you get a cheap coffee grinder it works brilliantly - that's what I use (ok, so I snaffled ours from the kitchen, shhhhh). Hubby will never notice linseed flavoured coffee *#) takes about 30 seconds to grind a cupful.

9. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

thanks for that hen, good to know!