Feeding bread???

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by m1ssnay, Oct 12, 2010.

1. m1ssnay

m1ssnay New Member

Does anyone feed bread to their horses??? I have heard that it can cause compaction in the hind gut and cause colic... Has anyone had this happen or heard of anything like this.. I feed my horse a slice or 2 as a treat but thinking it might not be a good idea!:confused:

2. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I would moisten it. I don't feed it personally apples and carrots are my treat of choice :)

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Not since a pony I had nearly died from it (just before he came over to me) #( Especially not fresh bread, it can ball up and get stuck in the throat (which is what happened to him) if vet hadn't been across the road..would have been end of pony I am sure.

I am actually not sure why some people seem to want to feed their horses "human food" ...best keeping to "horse food" IMO**)

4. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Nope never done it. Don't see a reason for it. If you do want to, i would make sure the bread was as natural as possible. Meaning, nothing from Woolies packed with colours, preservatives, salt, sugar and vinegar. I'm sorry, but that normal white bread is like eating raw sticky dough. I wouldn't eat it, and i sure as heck would never give it to my horse.
    Organic, or natural (meaning proper yeast or sourdough culture, not 'enhanced' by anything) and dried, would be a much better option if you want to feed bread. But off-course, that type is expensive.
    In my opinion, you're much better experimenting with fruits and veges till you find something they like.

5. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

I suppose there is a slight risk of it getting stuck, I've fed my horses bread and they enjoy it :)

At a horse hire place I used to work, a baker would drop loaves of sliced bread and raisen toast off and 70 horses had bread for brunch... Every Tuesday for several years. Not one had a problem or ever choked on it :)

6. ILoveClydesdales

ILoveClydesdales Well-known Member

Fed it to all my horses just yesterday... it's not something that happens every day, just like carrots and apples, but it's a treat they like just the same.

7. katers93

katers93 Well-known Member

I give it to my mare as a treat. I can't resist as she absolutely loves it :D

8. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

As a kid the local bakers van used to dump all the leftovers from the bakery in my paddock and 4 horses would go mad for it !!!
    Of more recent times I had a racehorse owner who fed all his stock on bread - no problem BUT every book will tell you it's bad so I would be wary !!
    My fav horse used to love ham sani's with pickle and it never did him any harm !!

9. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Ham????????:confused:

10. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Lol my first pony loved sharing my polony n pickles sambos!!

11. katers93

katers93 Well-known Member

hahaha. I am not allowed to eat in peace if I've got a sandwhich in one hand and the horse in the other. But she doesn't love sharing... She is happy to slobber on it so I don't want it and then will happily pull it to pieces to get the bread and carrot. Cheese and tomato is yucky :D

12. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Every one of my horses likes a slice of bread. The foals learn pretty quick that its a nice treat. I give a slice of bread to mares after they have been in the vet crush or had their feet done ect ect. I figure its no worse than a doctor giving a kid a lollypop.

Its definately not a daily thing, nor in any quantities. A couple like the odd carrot, apple or pear. My old Appy gelding would eat any fruit even liked bananas.....maybe he just liked to sample anything I was eating.....even citrus!

The foals get a tiny corner when they come up for a scratch and they enjoy it....its usually from the day before no older, seeded or plain. The babysitter gelding LOVES fruit loaf.

13. Taryn

Taryn Well-known Member

Lol when I was young I use to go to pony club and at lunch time my pony would harrass me so badly for my sausage dog that mum use to buy me two so I could eat and he'd be happy eating his and leave me alone lol

He also used to love cheese and mayo sandwiches, bread on it's own, watermelon you name it, maybe he was just a pig in disguise :)*

14. jc163041

jc163041 New Member

I feed my horses a slice every now and then. she dosnt like carrots or apples so im limited to what i can give her for a treat :) out of desperation i even tried sugar cubes but she wont have a bar of them lol

15. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

We own a pizza restaurant so ours get the leftover pizza bases(turkish bread) And leftover slices of bread. 4 out of 5 of my big horses enjoy it, the one who isnt as keen will take a little bit but he is tooo fat already anyway! Havent had any problems, but they only get max about 500gm a day each on any day, and this is usually twice a week. Takes some chewing though.

16. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I will feed it occasionally as a treat :p
    I just rip it up into little pieces so they don't choke.

I have not found, ONE thing my mare won't eat?
    She loves fruit, vegetables, chippies (hot ones and the ones out the cupboard), lollies, coke etc; Haha.. Pretty much anything I'm eating she wants.

17. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Feeding your horse bread!!! You are serious!!??!!?? :eek:
    No way do i....

Because a loaf of bread lasts one day in my house - not enough to share to the horses! :D :p :D :p

18. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

My boy loves a bit of bread occassionally! I dunk it in the water bucket then just give him torn off pieces lol

Having said that, he also likes salt & vinegar chips, malteezers, M&M's, and a drink of fanta to wash it down with! rofl *#) :D

19. stephie1370

stephie1370 Well-known Member

Yer my pony used to get bread as a treat. Only if it went a little stale before it got eaten.. would rip it up and stick in his dinner :)

My friends horses LOVE bananas!! its so funny watching them eat it.. nom nom nom

I tried to feed my horse a cheezel once.. didnt go down well haha She couldnt spit it out obviously.. so she shook her head up and down with her mouth open trying to get it out lol needless to say, never did that again haha

20. oldtenth

oldtenth Well-known Member

My two get dried or toasted bread a couple times a week but not fresh and it?s the first tasty thing they go for in their bins, raison toast is their favorite with butter and jam. Next are the carrots and apples before they eat anything else!

But I do avoid feeding any dried or fresh bread with any mould.