Feeding and Hacking

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by suga1624, Nov 2, 2007.

1. suga1624

suga1624 Well-known Member

hey just hoping for a bit of help.. i'v got an arabian gelding, and he's a really quiet boy. In 2 weekends time theres a big hacking show.. Recently our 1yo filly cut her leg badly so she's being stabled and looked after, because Link (my boy) is being fed up to show, hes in the yard next to her to keep her company. when i take him away she goes crazy so when i ride i let her in the round yard. anyway.. since i only ride tuesday, thurs and twice on weekends.. all the feed hes being given is making him go crazy!! when i ride all he does is canter, even on the spot.. i take him for a biiiig run and it helps a bit..
    he gets 2 feeds a day and a biskit of hay. in his feed is chaff, pelets and carrots. the feeds are pretty small.. we need to get his weight on though.. thats the problem, hes evry lean because he just came off endurance..
    so yeah i need him to still be fed heaps but not so craaazy lol
    cheers

2. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

JMO, but he isn't getting enough roughage if he is only getting one biscuit of hay a day. Roughage is the safest way to fatten a horse. I showed Arabs for years, my stallion and my gelding both got ad lib hay and a good vit/min supplement, plus a couple of biscuits of lucerne hay. I do not give my horses any grain unless they are worked, it is actually not good for them and can contribite to diseases like tie-up and laminitis.

If you want to keep him in show condition, more exercise would be beneficial, even if it is just lunging, to help build up some muscle. Lots and lots of hay, that is the most important thing, a good supplement and some high fat feeds if he is still needing a bit of weight on - rice bran, sunflower seeds, sunflower oil 1-2 cups per day. Rely on fibre and fat to get weight on him rather than grain or pellets.

If he has just come off endurance, how long has he been off that kind of hard work? I would be inclined to give him more time to get in show nick before you start showing him. It takes time to get weight and condition on a horse, can't be rushed. :)

3. suga1624

ok thanks!! =)
    just spoke to the guy that feeds them, and he said that Link gets about half a bale a day lol.. oops!! anyway, hes been off endurance for about 2 months. i'v been doing a lot of basic flatwork, he never used to be able to canter without running into it.. and now i'v got him responding really well to my legs.. are you going to the arabian state champs??
    thanks for the help!!!!

4. Jumping Bean

That's my pleasure Suga...I don't breed or own Arabians anymore unfortunately, just got room for my tb and my garden pet spoilt sb. Mainly showjumping these days.

If he is getting plenty of hay, that is great. Two months off endurance is not that long, it will take time for him to gain weight. Some good quality lucerne hay is a great help, one or two biscuits a day. Oil and rice bran will help him with weight gain without sending him over the edge. Best of luck with your show! **)

5. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

LOL, it takes quite a bit of time to have an endurance horse looking like a hack. JB gave you good feeding advice.:) Good luck

6. suga1624

thanks guys!! are either of u going to the arab state champs next weekend??

7. Jumping Bean

No not me! I am in the country :) Wish I was though!

8. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

Ok this might sound rude but I dont mean it to be!!!!
    When you said you gave him a BIIG run first does that mean you take him for a gallop?
    If so this could be exciteing him more, I know a lot of people think the best way to get a horse over thier energy bursts is to run it out of them but for some horses this just makes them worse, also if he is really attatched to the other horse it may be seperation anxiety that is causing the behaviour and that is a very dirricult thing to break, I am probably just stsing the obvious but if it helps then thats great!