Feeding a windsuck, GRRR

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Daxter, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Daxter

Daxter Active Member

what advice can anyone give with regard to feeding a windsucker.
    My boy is really struggling to put any weight on.
    currently he gets the following-
    4kg oaten Chaff
    1kg lucern
    3kg Pegasus Coolmax
    500g Highgain Weightgain
    500g flaked Bran
    500g lupins
    sunflower seeds
    Full biscuit of hay
    24/7 on grass
    fed once a day accept Tues & Thurs (cant get there)
    Only ridden once per week
    He woofs all this down like he has never been fed before
    He has put on some weight but all at the bottom of his belly, he is very ribby and generaly skinny all over, no muscle, we were not told he was a windsucker when we bought him and he had been left in a paddock for 9 months on grass only. I have a collar on him but he still windsucks. Please help stockies.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Horses who windsuck often have ulcers too, have you had him checked out for that? Could be why he's not gaining weight. I'd also put him on a hay roll.

The miracle collars appear to work well too
  3. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I know of horses who windsuck due to ulcers, it helps ease the pain, could your horse have ulcers?

Have you tried all the collars avalible on the market? I had a windsucker years ago, he lived in his collar except for when being excersized, He too wouldn't put on weight, in the end I spoke to the vet, and the vet prescribed him Steroids, the horse never looked back, put weight on and was healthy. Didn't cure the windsucking tho :(

Failing that there is always the operation**)
  4. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

5. Daxter

Daxter Active Member

hmmm, could be ulcers he was an OTTB about 2 years ago.
    Was thinking of hay rolls but there is no shelter for it so will need to wait for rains to stop. Because of where we are the vets charge over $400 for a visit so difficult to get one out without paying a small furtune. we have 2 other OTTB's who have ulcers and gastrocaot does the trick for them. Maybe I should try that, there would be no harm as far as I know.
  6. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

You may find the vet will prescribe omoguard or gastrozole without having to see the horse-worth asking in any case. My windsucker was on adlib hay, mitavit xtracool, lucerne and chaff and he picked up nicely. If you do suspect ulcers stay away from the grains and pellets...
  7. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I would reduce the grains and increase the hay, and add one tablespoon of slippery elm powder to his feed. It helps repair/heal the lining of the stomach.**)
  8. pso

pso Gold Member

1- I'd be finding a way of feeding him EVERY day- preferably more than once:}
    2- worm/drench/teeth?
    3- one biscuit of hay? 5 days a week? (increase)
    4- vit/min supplement?
    5- if you suspect ulcers- get rid of pellets- esp such large amounts at once!
  9. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

Yep I agree with what everyone else has said.

Try to feed two feeds a day - more roughage, less grain. Treat with gastrozole or if you can't get any of that slippery elm, whey powder or Anchor red cordial might help.
  10. madison

madison Well-known Member

I would also recommend having him drenched for sand. I have seen horses eat like there is no tomorrow and not put on any weight because sand will stop the body getting any nutrition from the feed.
  11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member

I agree with what everyone else has said. Your vet may dispense gastrozol without seeing teh horse based on your symptoms as it is so common.

Once teh horse has ulcers gastrozol is the only thing that gets rid of them - all teh other feeding advice (eg no grain) is to try and prevent reoccurrence.

After you treat with Gastrozol I'd add in whey powder (not before as it coats the stomach). This will help build muscle and coat the stomach too. I ahvent used the gastrocoat?

but he is only going to get muscle if you ride :) and feed protein :)

But I trhink you will have a happier horse after a course of gastrozol :)

And Miracle Collar is teh onyl one that works IMO.
  12. kp

kp Well-known Member

Try the miracle collar. Try gastrocoat. Increase his lucerne. Try and split his feeds into multiple feeds per day.
  13. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

4kg oaten chaff! are you sure it is that weight? as that is like 80 litres which is a HUGE amount at once. I'd rather feed more hay i.e 4 biscuits..
    3kg coolmax not doing anything? How big is he? Is he rugged?
  14. Daxter

Daxter Active Member

Might not be right, we use the plastic scoops and put in 4 of them. thinking about it probably not equal to 4kg

Thanks for everyones input, will definatley try a few things.

Where can I get the miracle collar from? **)
  15. I also agree with the Miracle Collar. Though I dont find it helps stopping the windsucking as I had a cronic winducker...though he was a fantastic weight. Collars apparently stop the air that they are sucking passing through (which causes ulcers).
    If you want to actually stop him windsucking I HIGHLY Recommened hydrophane cribox cream (blue and white round container. IT STINKS!! im serious nothing else works 100% better then this stuff. I even tried Chilli*#)
    I used to apply this to his yard all along the poles and rails end of feed bins....everywhere you know he windsucks....I used to walk into the yard with it and he would bolt...something about the smell drives them insane :)
    But about feed, I love Nutri rice show n comp and showtorque....nothing beats them :)*

good luck ;)
  16. You can purchase the miracle collar from horseland or Europa :)
    Be prepared they are quite expensive!!:(
    BUT also....I think you can buy sheepskin covers for the straps...it gave my show galloway white hair scars until they grew out months later because the leather rubs!!....wasnt happy at all.:mad:
  17. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

Miricle collar in my opinion will always work as long as it is tight enough, u may feel like your choking him but ur not, they can put their head in such a way where its not tight...once he stops suckin in wind instead of the grass he could be eating all day he should start to put on weight...and as others have said wouldn hurt to treat for ulcers
  18. Daxter

Daxter Active Member

Hi is 17hh and is rugged. I am starting new feed this weekend and see how he goes. Thanks again everyone :))
  19. PELLY20

PELLY20 Active Member

Be careful with the Miracle collar I have seen a horse that bled badly from having this on to tight.
    I would also suggest as much hay as he can eat I had a racehorse that was a cronic wind sucker and I fed him three times a day and as much hay as he could eat the difference was amazing
  20. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure that it is not the windsucking itself that causes ulcers, a horse windsucks BECAUSE it already has ulcers and windsucking produces excess saliva which helps soothe the pain a little from the existing ulcers.