Feed help

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Diesel91, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Diesel91

Diesel91 Well-known Member

Hi Everyone,
    I know feeds for tbs has been done to death but needing help.
    16.2 15 yr old tb.
    Is having teeth done next week, has been wormed etc.
    Isnt "skinny" but he needs to put on more.
    He isnt in work so lacks topline muscle etc.
    Currently on 3 scoops lucerne, 1 scoop maxisoy(dry scoop), 3 biscuits oaten hay of a morning.
    4 scoops lucerne 1.5 scoops (dry scoop) maxisoy, 4 biscuits oaten hay at night.

I have previously had him on lupins and he was ermmm a pig ( not proven it was the lupins but its the only thing i have changed after he came back from spell...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. PsoasPony

PsoasPony Guest

Any chance of putting him onto adlib hay? You may find this is enough to get that little bit more onto him :)

3. Karen Jet

Karen Jet New Member

What about adding some lupins to the diet? Either whole stuff that needs to be soaked or micronized lupins which hygain do and extruded lupins which mitavite do. Non heating, promotes topline. Mitavite also do Munga, which is great, based on lupins and faba beans with protein meals.

4. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I agree with giving ad lib hay a go. I have always found a bit of extra hay does wonders for putting weight on tb's. Mine is a little smaller than yours but is in regular hard work and pretty much lives on hay with no grazing and a little maxisoy and Lucerne chaff and she is in good condition.

5. Diesel91

Diesel91 Well-known Member

thanks for suggestions have put in a hay roll so will see if that changes anything.