Feed Crisis

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Maree4, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Ok i have a bit of a problem, and i need some help here.

Winnie is fat...putting it bluntley. his main area of fatty deposit is along the crest and on the shoulder other than that he is ok. I want to cut his feed back but don't want to cut it back too much....SO this is what he is getting now

10ltrs chaff with carrots in the morning

1 biscuit of hay at lunch and at night

10ltrs of chaff
    2 ltrs lucerne chaff
    cell vital at night.

I have cut out 10ltrs of chaff, his energy gold and his sunnies.

His work load has been light and will remain light for at least another 4 weeks at this stage.

Opinions on this please.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. pso

pso Gold Member

Cant really reduce him more than that, except maybe cut the feed out totally, and just give him hay (ie replace the chaff feeds, with a biscuit of hay)...And maybe a tiny feed to mix his vits in?

3. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I know PSO,:) you are right, i just don't want him to be lacking anything thats all. I know it will be a combination of feed reduction and work, and once his work load increases i will up his feed. I also don't want to loose the shine on his coat.

4. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

That sounds an ideal amount, plenty of roughage to keep him 'full' without putting too much 'fat food' in his feedbin. How much grazing is he on and what quality? If he is on good pasture I'd be trying to restrict his grass in take, maybe if you can yard him for part of the day and have that time to let him have his hay. Also if you are feeding oaten hay, if you place the hay in a hessian sack or a haynet then soak the hay in fresh water for an hour, pull out, shake off excess water and then feed it this gets rid of alot of the sugars and starch in the hay.
    My pali arab x is the same at the moment, HUGE fat rolls around his shoulders, a cresty neck (got abit of QH in his dams lines though) and huge hindquarters and we have bugger all grazing here already but I have been ad lib-ing oaten hay plus all mine get hard fed. I've just cut him and my son's young arab pony ( who's nickname is Blimp at the moment) right down to basically chaff and vit minerals in hard feed and restrict their hay abit and try to soak it too.

5. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Thanks Ali, yes winnie has crabbet in him so he is a solid type anyway but he is fatty now. I have just moved him to a new agistment place and she suggested the same as you to keep him off the grass til after lunch (his hay) and then put him out. All the grass here has seeded so is really high in protein atm. He is on good grass.

6. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Yep, gotta love those arabs, such good doers. :)
    I keep referring to my boy as "lard arse" and even my 8 year old son knows who I'm referring to when he hears me say it!!! LOL

7. pso

pso Gold Member

He is a healthy horse...thats what makes the shine, not feed! :)*
    If he's only in light work, he doesnt really need more than hay (and vits if you feel the need)...Chaff is just processed hay after all, but longer fibres, are better as they actually have to chew more (might use up a few carbs!) etc...

8. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Yes he is a very healthy boy, ok this is sounding good, i was worried i was going to be doing the complete opposite and not feeding enough. i will keep him on the above for a week as i only changed it today and then cut him down a bit more if need be. I want to do it gradually same as you increase gradually.;)

9. pso

pso Gold Member

Yep, that sounds like a great plan!
    Goodluck!:)*

10. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Thank you so much for your advice, awsome guys. it has helped heaps.............:)* :))

11. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Hey, seeing as it seems that quite afew of us have these chubby neddies maybe we should start an on-line equine "Biggest Loser" ?? LOL,
    mine wouldn't look good in those tight lycra bike shorts though :) LMAO

12. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

sounds like Lucy, and Julia (1/2 crabbit) when she was here and not in work... Both of them had to be on dry paddocks in summer and fed ONLY hay because otherwise they pop! As it is Lucy is fat with same symptoms as winnie - and she is on hay only. The good thing about konke's is that you can feed it straight, well mine will eat it anyway.
    How big is the paddock? I keep mine in 3acres so they maybe work some off walking around lol but Lucy prefers to watch Buckley do all teh exercise so i just have to exercise her myself.

13. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

He is in a smaller paddock now than at Dee's but big enough for him to hoon in as he proved today lol.
    I wanted to add too, last summer winnie was very under weight and i was trying to get the weight on him. This is my first summer with him where he has been healthy and of good condition so it is all new to me trying to now maintain his weight without him "popping" lol.

14. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Hey Ali, not a bad idea hahahahaha....its all this nice grass and us loving owners that help towards their plumpness:)

15. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

This is good advice :) I'd also cut out/down the carrots, they're actually quite high in sugars (though not as high as apples)

16. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Yes, now that i look over it with a magnifine glass (lol) he was getting his feed wet down with mollases water every night, 3 or 4 carrots every morning and high fat feeds ie; oil and sunnies. These are all things i feed to get the weight on including grains (but he hasn't had grains for months now).

So it is obviously time to readjust......:))

17. pso

pso Gold Member

I wouldnt stress about 3/4 carrots...If you were giving him 3/4kgs then there may be an issue...same with molasses, sure its sugar based, but I'm sure you give no more than 1/2 a cup? (diluted in water of course!) & You've taken all the 'fat' food out (sunnies and oil and pellets etc)...Gotta leave something good in there, or you may as well not bother!:D

18. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

He only gets half a cup mollases and 3 or 4 carrots. So thats good....i have just written out his new feed.
    Its not much different

AM - 10ltrs chaff, carrots

Midday - 1 hay then let out into paddock

Dinner - 10ltrs chaff, cell vital, mollases water, ACV.
    1 Hay