Favourite breed ?

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by wildwelsh, Jun 12, 2012.

1. wildwelsh

wildwelsh Active Member

Hi - Just thought I would put up this thread getting a bit bored waiting for this terrible storm to hit down South so I am tootling around the internet and thought this might make for an interesting thread....

What's your favourite breed and why ...if you have pics that would be awesome!!...

Mine are Welshies (of course!!)...sect A and cobs...then Clydie Sporthorse, Gypsy cobs, Shetlands well just all hairy mclairy British native ponies really!!!

Love them for their cheeky yet loving nature love the look of native breeds hairy and great bone and depth....solid and sensible...Have always had them ...:):)

2. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

Another one for welshies!:)

Just got my Action mag today and have spent the last hour on the couch looking at all the lovely welshies. Some of the part-breds are really lovely too.

3. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

Honestly My favorite breed is the Thoroughbred!
    they are mostly strong and willing, will give you 110% jump and run like the wind! and the ones that havent been wrecked are honest as the day is long!
    I just think they are fantastic especially in eventing (my sport of choice) the best horse ive ever owned was one, and although he is pretty special in his own right i know the breed had alot to do with it

4. foxleigh stud

foxleigh stud Active Member

No surprise I am sure but I just love my Warmbloods - I watch them working or out in the paddock or just poking their heads over the stable door and I just have to stop and admire their beauty power and personality. Then I guess I am a softy for Connie's (cheeky monkeys) and Newforrest (my friend has one I just love)

I just love his face :D

[​IMG]

5. Silverbuck

Silverbuck Active Member

Mine would probably be the Australian Stock horse. And my favorite cross breed would be the ASH x QH.

6. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

co the connemara and the welsh d love a bit of chunk in de trunk

7. foxleigh stud

foxleigh stud Active Member

I didn't know much about the Welsh D before I started coming on stockies but I have been really impressed with them. If I didn't breed WB's I would be tempted by them.

8. Diana

Diana Gold Member

QHs for me :D somehow I just relate to them better *#)

9. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Hi Wildwelsh :p

I am a total sucker for Friesans - I think they are the most glorious horse on the face of the earth - ever :D

Although I have no plans to ever own or ride one - i think for gob smacking magnificence and beauty, they can't be beat :D

10. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Use to ride Frits the Friesian stallion for his owner... no other breed will be as magnificent to ride IMO! :)*

11. Lucy11

Lucy11 Active Member

Definitely the Clevelands, such great temperaments, and hardy as well.
    Although I do have a soft spot for Appaloosa's and would love to have another one. My last one had the best personality, would be hard to find another like him I would think :)

12. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Irish Draught :D

13. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

Trakehners or at least a cross :)!!!!

beautiful, elegant, super smart, will challange you to do better... refined type of warmblood. hot and sparky, but lovely :)
    suitable for all types of riding, and disaplines.. but require a senstive understanding rider most of the time. :)

14. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

Well until recently the most amazing horse I've ever owned was my old Riding Pony galloway who was just incredible and I could not fault him or his personality. I've had some lovely TB's as well over the years.

BUT recently I have had the pleasure to fall in love with a Holsteiner x. He's incredibly willing and has an impeccible work ethic and will just try his heart out to please me whatever I ask.

He waits for me by the gate to come in at night, he's cheeky (I enjoy the spunky ones), and he's huge!

He's not what you would call 'pretty' but he's handsome as hell and I adore him. If I could clone him exactly I would :)*

15. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

I love Andalusians. Their grace, beauty and loyalty is just breathtaking.
    GK is part Andy, but I would love a pure bred or even a first cross.
    :)

16. CazzaRanne

CazzaRanne New Member

As everyone knows I am a sucker for the Aussie Brumby. They are extremely intelligent, hardy, give their all, put their heart and soul into their work and come in all shapes, sizes and colour. And there are extremely versatile.

Love 'Guy Fawkes' and 'Apsley' brumbies. 'GF' are mostly galloways and of solid build and 'Apsley' brumbies are slighty smaller and a bit leaner build and make excallent kids ponies.

Two examples of 'Guy Fawkes' Brumbies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two examples of 'Apsley Gorge' Brumbies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Wow the GF brumbies are beautiful . Love the chunky horses :D

18. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

Arabs of course!

I love arabs to bits. Their beauty, amazing temperament and intelligence just make them the perfect horse. They are hardy and can go all day long, and as long as you ask them (not tell them!) they will try to do anything for you. Anything with some arab in it is the horse for me!

These are my lot

Allie - Anglo. This horse is my soul mate
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bandit - 70% arab gelding
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cara - mum's purebred arab filly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Bailey - arab x Aus stock horse
    [​IMG]

19. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Without any doubt I have to say the Friesian! I always loved them but until owning a 75% Friesian I had no idea how truely amazing they are. For such a solid looking horse they are incredibly athletic, Kit can bend and twist any which way! They have the most amazing hooves (important to me after retiring my TB with buggered hooves), Kit will never need to be shod! They have just such beauty and to top it off, they have the most amazing temperaments! Kit is a 3yo colt and I have been waiting for the 'naughties' to kick in but happy to say he is always the gentleman!

I love the Warmbloods too, they just move so awesomely, my dream stable would have at least 1 of each!

Kit -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one of the most amazing Friesians of all time in my opinion, Goffert 369 (RIP)-
    Friesian horse dressage - YouTube

20. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Thoroughbreds. I do like the look of Irish Draughts and Clydies though! In the future I'd love to have a semi heavy eventer/hunter :)