fastest way to put weight on older horse?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by michele Day, Dec 2, 2011.

1. michele Day

michele Day New Member

What is the fasted way to get a horse to put weight on her hips & wethers, have her on senion grain & sweetbeet pulp and 1/2 cup of oil a day? and all the hay she can eat. she be 33 yr old this spring 1/2 arabian mare. her and I been together 32 of those. Michele

Its below freezeing here some days. do not do anything with her at this time. but keep her warm.:confused:

2. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

If she appears good weight wise in every other aspect, it may just be due to her age.

Does she have her teeth still?

3. michele Day

michele Day New Member

Only missing one . the rest were done last fall.

4. michele Day

michele Day New Member

That her in photo this summer. on the left but it feels like she lost some around her hips and whithers to me though her long hair.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  5. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

Parboiled rice! Great for the oldies, great source of nutrients, fibre and bulk! We have always fed it to old, ulcer and skinny horses and it bulks them up in no time! Make sure she gets her teeth done every 6 months at this age and I just realised your in the US and going into winter, so make sure she's nice and warm. And you could probably up the oil to a full cup.

Also make sure that you address any pain issues, as at that age she's bound to have some, that can prevent them from holding weight!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

What sort of hay is it? And how many kgs of grain? Not sure what you are able to get over there so hard to recommend things..

7. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I would boil up rice for her as already suggested. Two cups of rice (that is dry weight) then boiled up until it is soft and mix it with chaff, lucerne and keep going with the oil and sweet beet.

Boiling the rice breaks it down making it much easier to digest.

8. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

Boiled Barley also works well with the oldies, Mine recovered really well after a hard winter and bout of colic, Next time i might do the rice too though.

9. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

1 tsp of yeasac
    rosehip
    mitavite gumnuts
    all works really well rosehip is good for there joints :)
    small short walks (if she is able to) will help muscle on the hips. :)

10. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

Fibre Beet from British Horse Feeds

11. katie16

katie16 New Member

Miatvite gumnuts!!!!
    we have two retired horses, one 30-40 years and another 20years
    both get gumnuts (recommened amount on back of bag) plus 500 grams lucerne chaff per day, in winter when its cold we give maxisoy (dry soyhull pellets, must be soaked only take 2mins of so, we use waarm water to soak them in) makes there bellys warm!
    Horse take up energy when they are cold, so keep rugs on when its cold (dont go over broad like most people do!). Normally a good pollar fleece rug with a water proof winter rug works best!
    all the best :)

12. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

The OP is from the USA so the feeds available there are very different! ;)

13. stylemichelle21

stylemichelle21 New Member

The rice and oil increase are both very good pieces of advice. Might not be a bad idea to get a senior horse supplement to go with the normal daily caloric intake.