Fantastic Farrier

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Ltd Edition Madcow, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Ltd Edition Madcow

Ltd Edition Madcow Well-known Member

I've had some farrier issues over the last few months which has been a real pain to say the least:( I had a horse almost not make the champion hack lineup at the royal due to 3 missing shoes and bruised soles, abcess's caused by nail binds and a youngster frightened by a new farrier.

Brown foal has been handled since birth and had her feet trimmed like clockwork. She'd always been really easy until a new farrier accidently frightened her. The next farrier ear twitched her to get done which made her even worse:(

I couldn't do much to slove the problem as she always is fine for me to pick feet up and any of my friends (who are all girls as well)

I've recently found another new farrier who is brilliant. He came out in the heat today to do baby trims. Pink was arrogant but good. Brown foal was really frightened and almost collapsed when he tried to pick a foot up. He slowly worked with her in the stable and after a few little hiccups had her standing on a loose lead in the stable while she was trimmed. It was an amazing turn around.

It was so nice to see a farrier take his time and be so patient. It's so hard to find any farrier atm let alone a good one. He used to be a breaker so knows horses really well. On top of his good rates I'm offering Crownies as a sweetner to keep him!LOL:D

2. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

He sounds like a farrier worth hanging on to:)

3. Ltd Edition Madcow

Absolutely, hence the crownies! LOL (I don't even drink beer, it's purchased just for the farrier!hehe):))

4. Bubbles

Bubbles Well-known Member

That wouldnt happen to be the lovely farrier that I gave you the number for hehe :))

5. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Oooh Madcow when I move back to Perth ... I may perhaps trouble you for his number :)* :D :)) And maybe I give you an alcoholic sweetener in return yes? ;)

6. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Fantastic MC!

Like you I have found a great farrier who listens to me, my concerns and what I want with Jazz.

Definately give em booze to make em happy

7. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

So long as they don't drink it while they are shoeing your horse lol!! :)*

8. rmwgirl4eva

rmwgirl4eva Well-known Member

Hey could i trouble yu for his number. I have a horse that was hit by the farrier with a rasp right in his face. He has since been petrified of the farrier. All he did was move some weight over to other leg. I think farrier freaked because he is so big. Hubby nearly had fist fight with him and told him to go away. ( not so nicely.) I can understand if my horse was being bad but i just didnt see anything that would warrant being smacked especially with a rasp on the face. #( :mad: #( :mad: #( :(

9. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

Thats great MC**)

I can not believe how hard it is to find farriers these days! I am sure 5 years ago it wasnt like this. I just had my farrier book to come every 8 weeks and he was there like clock work, and did a great job!

I couldnt for the life of me find a farrier when I came down and I had to resort to grovelling and pleading to get one to do my horse, which I floated to someone elses property so he didnt have to travel so far......luckily he was an awesome guy and did a top hot shod job:)*

I will be looking for a new farrier when I get back, but everyone I talk to is not taking on any new clients:(

10. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

That's great MC... decent farriers are hard to come by.

Carls, ring me when you get back from your lovely holiday *#) I'll give you the number of my farrier, he lives over your way. He's a hot shoer, and is exceptional at balancing feet. He's also very quiet with the horses. Having been through lamanitis and the like, I'm a just a little pedantic about my horses feet now, and there are many farriers I wouldn't use in a pink fit!

Ciao. Kiley.

11. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

Hi

Shakhaan if it is no trouble could i have his number, my last farier won't be returning after the job he did#(

12. Ltd Edition Madcow

Yep Bubbles, the same farrier**)

He's just so good with the babies. Brown foal stood in the middle of the stable in the end with the lead draped on the ground:))

The farrier shortage is a bit of a worry. I noticed they were advertising for aprentices a few weeks ago.

13. horseygal44

horseygal44 Well-known Member

I would become a farrier but i don't think I have the muscle to hold onto them! My TB gave a farrier a cut eyebrow when he was getting his teeth done! At pony club too... #( not good. It's cos guys think horses are girly...I reckon. (well all the guys I know do)

14. Shabelle

Shabelle Active Member

Farrier Woes

I've had the farrier woes also...my horse has been lame due to the hard ground up here and being shod "not so well" I have found one that takes his time and guess what my horse can walk properly again. It took lots of phones calls and a bit of begging, pleading to get him to see my horse but well worth it and you can bet I have booked him for next time.

15. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

If anyone can recommend a good farrier it would be great. I have one but he hasn't shown a few times although when he does he is perfect. I may resort to just taking her there all the time! Then other farriers have shown have cut her feet back to the point of bleeding and this time left her WAY too long, after just 3 weeks she looks due to be done again and the shoe isn't fitted properly!

16. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Particularly after moving up here I too know the difficulties of finding a decent farrier#(

One farrier I got turned up still drunk from the night before with no tools, just a file and a very bent stand. He took about 2 hours to take off the old shoes, file back the feet and put them back on and still had the nerve to charge me $90 for the trouble!

My new farrier is FANTASTIC although he won't work weekends and won't give me a time he is going to rock up, just a day. Makes it hard when you work full time! Have missed him on several occasions#(

17. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

Sorry horseychic, forgot I'd posted in this thread. My farrier only works north of river, from wanneroo to the swan valley, doesn't travel to hills or south of river. PM me if you're in our area, and I'll give you his number :)